Nathan Krester

"So, Nate, what're you up to?" A hand slapped my shoulder.

I shrugged. "Just planning for the dance next Friday. I do have to make sure everything's ready and decorated and such."

Jason shook his head. "Man, you remind me of one of my other friends."

I frowned. "Which one are you talking about?"

Jason is a classmate of mine, and the quarterback of our school's football team, the Oakley Eagles. He spends his summers in New York, and school years here in California. I'm second string for quarterback, but I seem to play a ton more than he does, because he leaves at such a short notice pretty much every football game.

"The blonde, smart one. She's one of my girlfriend's best friends."

I was confused. "Aren't blonde girls supposed to be dumb?"

"Don't call her dumb unless you want to end up all bruised and beaten." Jason warned, slightly chuckling.

I guess I'll take that as a warning.

••==••

At the dance:

"Oh my gosh. What is that?!?" Karli Sweenee, my date, asked me, pointing at a strangely dressed lady that I supposed was acting as a chaperone. That lady in question had a snake-green dress on and a giant collection of bronze necklaces.

I shrugged. "A chaperone. Come on, let's go dance. It's rude to point."

Karli stayed frozen where she was. She was as pale as a ghost. Her chocolate brown eyes were as wide as saucers. "It can't be. They're not real." She whispered.

I sighed in exasperation. "Come on, Karli, this my jam. Let's go dance."

Jason popped up next to me, a glass of punch in his hand. "How's it going, Nate? You liking the dance?"

I shook my head disapprovingly. "Jase, where's your date?"

"Right here." A beautiful Native American girl sidled up to my friend in a turquoise dress. "I'm Piper. You must be the Nate Jason is constantly asking to help him out with football."

"Yep." I shook her offered hand, then gestures to Karli, who was still pale and still, staring at the lady. "Do either of you know who that lady is?"

They both shook their heads, then squinted, as though they both needed glasses.

"That's not what I think it is, is it?" Piper mumured.

Jason nodded slowly. "I think we are in big trouble. You get the girl, I'll distract her."

I watch in awe as Piper spook calming words to my date, and Jason went over to the strange lady, his hand brushing his belt. Karli shrank back towards me, huddling under my arm. Piper whipped out her phone, watching Jason and the lady carefully. "We need a pick up, quickly. Half-blood in area, monster on the radar. Pick up, quick." She nodded, then hung up. I looked at her, confused.

She flapped a hand at me. "Forget it. It's nothing."

What was I doing again?

Oh yeah, getting Karli to dance.

"Let's go." I gently took my date and we danced onto the crowded floor.

••==••

The next day at school, both Karli and Jason were gone. My practice throws were all off, and my scrimmage ones were worse. Coach asked how much I drank last night, and I told him I only had a glass of water, right before bed. No alcohol, just a bad day.

After about a week, Jason showed up again, and I cornered him.

"Dude, what happened? You were gone for a week! Do you know how bad my throws have gotten since you weren't in school?"

Jason looked me in the eye. "Piper and I were making sure Karli was settled."

I glared, annoyed at him. "Settled where?"

He sighed. "It's a summer camp for kids with ADHD and dyslexia. Some people have to register early and make sure everything's ready for them by the time summer comes. That's what Karli's doing. I'm sure you'll see her soon."

I shrugged, then gave him a bro-hug. "Missed ya, man."

••==••

Jason still seems a bit strange to me. Though his girlfriend and other friends seem even more so.