~ Chapter 1 - Truth or Lie ~

Okay saying I'm completely innocent would be difficult, considering I'm wearing a stolen suit. The tie hung loosely around my neck is flapping softly against my face, it's kind of annoying. The wind is soothing yet strong, it's strange but I feel at ease not having to run. Officer Jones starts talking, he sounds hostile "tell me now, what really happened that night!" I push myself back, slamming him to the ground. Because of the cuffs I struggle to stand, Frank takes the opportunity and sits on my chest; he pulls a gun to my forehead. I start screaming "I told you already, a bull-man thing killed my father. I swear it happened, if you don't believe me shoot me, shoot me now!" I hear the safety pull and make a clink. The trigger sounds like a dull spring as he pulls it... it's all over now.

BANG! I stare up at the light puff of smoke floating in front of my eyes; he shot above me, but why? Jones gets off my chest and speaks calmly "I guess I still believe you, one chance. Prove it to me, I don't care if I'm a lower rank just show me my faith was right... because if I was wrong I never deserved the detective position to begin with." He kindly helps me up and removes the cuffs. It's strange how free you feel after the handcuffs are gone. It looks like we're finally going to catch that vile beast, or at the very least prove that my father's death wasn't a lie.

We arrive at a small apartment; this must be Jones's place. We enter room 17, the door creaks open and the clutter springs itself in front of my eyes. Pieces of paper are scattered everywhere, the only place clear is a scarlet red couch in the centre of the room. He leads me to the couch before travelling down a narrow hallway, I look around the room. The walls are a clean sky blue, while the roof is cotton white. It's cramped yet homey, on the coffee table in front of me is the picture of a beautiful woman; she looks to be in her early twenties. Her golden locks seem to coat the frame supporting her. Frank enters the room, nonchalantly I ask "Jones, why do you believe me?" he looks down at the photo in silence. Did she get killed by something, is she like my father?

My jet black hair hangs in front of my face, it's around mid-length so it isn't really bothersome. The guys I gamble with are generally criminals on the run; I get a haircut from some guy called Dead-eye Steve there. Although having a plastic eye the guy can give a good haircut. Abruptly I ask "detect... officer, did that woman suffer the same fate as my father, who is she anyway?" he sighs and opens up a web bookmark. There are several drawings of beasts but one catches my eye specifically it's the bull thing. I click it and the browser takes me to a webpage the title simply says "Horeda the Bull Demon." I start scrolling down, looks like I'm not alone.

Frank speaks softly "that's the being, isn't it?" I nod continuing reading the information. It's said that it has a habit of beheading middle aged men. It is known as a cursing demon, and generally marks young children. People marked by a demon usually have unusual abilities. I scroll down further to notice an image of six marks the dagger on my neck is there, it sits blissfully in the top right corner. I start running my finger around it, what does it mean?

Once again I click the image that entices me the most, it's known as the mark of the wielder but what exactly is that? Just as I was about to read Jones starts talking. He almost mumbles but I can understand what his dragged words are saying "that woman is Veronica, she was my sister. She passed away a few years before your father. She had a mark that looked like a fireball, we claimed that a cloaked man killed our father, in the end we knew we'd be blamed so we lied and blamed it on a recently deceased convict. I was untouched by the cloaked being I remember seeing his wrinkly chalk white jaw open. The yellow decaying teeth bit into her and he faded away into a ball of fire leaving her on the floor crying in pain. You're telling the truth, you really are." I never expected Frank would be able to relate, so that's why he believed me.

The webpages loads with a bright flash, mark of the wielder, what does it mean? If this is the explanation to why I could do all those things then maybe I'll die like Jonesy's sister but how exactly did she die, should I ask or read first?

2Zp