Undercover Masochist (A Gone Fanfiction)

She ran. She ran, the leather wallet slipping from her sweaty fingers. She could hear the policeman trying to whistle to her to stop and at the same time calling for backup. He was a fat man and was no match for Kat's long, young legs.

Suddenly, Kat heard silence. She looked back and the policeman was no longer there but his whistle remained on the street. A car came crashing from the neighbouring street and crashed into a corner shop. Kat screamed and bounced back, flattening herself against a wall when a motorcycle flew past, driver-less. Her muscles were tense and the wallet she stole clattered to the floor.

Back at Coates, Drake was twirling a small pen-knife inbetween his fingers, under his desk. His head was pressed against the wall and his eyes closed, loving the feel of the blade on his fingertips. It was cool and smooth and he focused on it instead of his Maths teacher who was droning on about Simultanous equations. She stopped talking, probably writing something on the board. He could hear various conversations erupting from around the classroom. One kid yelled "She's gone!"

Caine leaned over his desk and tapped Drake on the shoulder. When he didn't respond, Caine shoved him and he opened his eyes reluctantly.

It was now when Drake looked around it was clear that the teacher was gone. The marker was still rolling on the floor and some of the kids were standing on desks, some were laughing, some looked stern and anxious.

"Where she go?" Drake mumbled.

"I don't know. She just kind of.... poofed."

"Poofed?" Drake raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah,man. One minute she was there and then the next..." He clicked his fingers.

Drake looked around again, noting that everyone was talking about it,and that Caine wasn't messing with him again.

"What do you reckon?"

Caine frowned.

"I don't know but I'm not sitting around like these mindless shits waiting for something to happen. I'm going to check around the school."

Drake popped his pen knife into his pocket and leaped around his desk and followed Caine.

Kat went back to the abandoned house she lived in and stayed there until morning.She only went back to town then.What she saw, was chaos. Kids were running around, wild, little children of five crying on sidewalks and a house at the end of the avenue was on fire. She ran in that direction and saw a boy, around fourteen, running into the burning building holding a jacket over his head. She sprinted over and turned to a girl who was clutching her younger brother and frowning.

"What happened?"

"The building might've caught on fire from the stoves and ovens that were left..." her voice trailed away.

"No!"Kat replied impatiently "No, I mean what happened? Where is.. Where are the police and the firemen and the teachers and the..."

"Oh. Oh ,no one knows. They just kind of dissapeared.'"

Kat stared at the girl with a raised brow. She had seen her around sometimes, but she would have never said she was mentally unstable.

" Are you mad?"

"What? No,of course not! They really did! Ask anyone here!"

Kat peered around suspiciously. There was really no adults to be seen.

That's when the blond boy staggered back from the burning house clutching a dead girl to his chest.

"No one. No teachers. Tried the phone. It ain't working"