Ridley

I asked the ship to power down to conserve energy. Then I packed a small metal box with medical supplies, meal replacement pills, ammo and another gun.  I walked over to the armoury grabbing two plasma pistols and strapped them to my hips. The control was making an angry beeping noises so I went to find out. Turns out it was my pet sitting on the keyboard. He growled at my approach probably because I'd ignored him the last few days. I sighed and told him,

   "Go down to the shuttle bay and wait for me, ok?" 

   I watched as he leapt down and padded silently from the room. I noticed a the armour was still in the corner of the room. It looked melted. I crouched down and saw a small gleam of white. I nudged away some metal plates and scooped up a necklace. Was this Nestas? I tucked it away in my pocket. I stood up again and headed to my cabin. Inside I stuffed a handful of clothes into a canvas bag before placing the pictures of my family on top. I grabbed Nestas spear before departing. I carried the items to the shuttle, strapped them into the compartments. I powered up the engine. I glanced back at the ship as the shuttle left the bay. It was like a ghost ship gently floating amongst seas of stars. 

   Nesta was waiting for me. She was beside something large and furry. I opened the door and jumped down.

    "What the heck is that!?" I yelped as the creature gave a booming bark.

   "His name is Fychan. The name means small but as you can see..." She laughed.

    The creature resembled an earthen bear but its fur was a dull yellow. The bears black eyes looked at me intelligently. I felt a bit nervous around it. Hollow, my pet, growled behind me.

    "Ridley. Fychan as harmless as a sheep, alright?" 

    I composed myself as I neared Fychan. Fychan pranced happily and licked my cheek. His tongue was rough and papery. I watched as Nesta climbed onto him. I went back to the shuttle and collected the supplies. I followed Nesta back to the ruins, she vanished into one of the larger building on the outskirts. I trailed her inside. I was amazed to see that she had been busy.

   "As you can see, I chose this one because it was the least damaged and it is also away from those aliens. I'm still a Celt so I didn't adapt well to your ship, I much prefer the outdoors." She explained as she stacked wood in a stone circle. 

  There were four rooms branching off from the main one. I left the supplies by the main door as I went off to look around. I noticed Nesta had taken the larger of the back rooms. Well, I guess she didn't want to leave Fychan out in the rain. The bear was curled up asleep in the corner. There was a cracked marble fresco on the wall. It was down in muted colors and showed a battle of some sort. I left the room to the other one across the hall. This room would suite me. As soon as I thought that Hollow  leapt onto the sunny windowsill to sleep. I moved and the necklace fell out of my pocket. I picked it back up and went back into the main room.

  "Is this yours?" I asked, dropping the chain into her hands.

    Her eyes teared up and she nodded.

  "This was my mothers. I had it on me when I..."

 She hastily wiped her eyes and grinned at me. She was being strong I noticed. But I wished she would just show her feelings once in a while. She placed the chain over her head and it settled against her collarbone. The fire crackled noisily in the silence before she spoke again,

   "I found some fruit, well actually Fychan found it for me. He told me it was good to eat." 

         "He spoke to you?" 

    "Yes. It was buzzing in my head at first but then I could hear his voice." 

     She picked up a purple, orb shaped fruit and bit into it. I followed suite, enjoying the tangy taste of the fruit. Once she was finished, she tossed the rind into the fire and walked to her room. Staring at the strange colored flames, I began to feel tired. I turned onto my side and fell asleep.