~Counting blessings~

Those last few steps seemed the most difficult I had made in my life. But im here. No turning back. I stare down at it. His grave. I should be the one down there. In the ground. Why did he save me? Why didnt he just let me take the bullet. I still remember the look in his icy blue eyes. I didnt even know him that well. He was the silent smart guy at the front of the class. I was at the back. He had blond hair and glasses. I wish I got to know my saviour. I know his name was Michael Murry or something. 'Milly.' I hear my sister whisper next to me. I look up at the girl who looks nothing like me. With her long brown hair and brown eyes. I have vibrant red curly hair and green orange eyes. We never knew our father but I guess I look like him. 'Milly, we have to go.' She says gently. Shes a very gentle girl. She woulnt hurt a fly. She got the smarts. I got the looks. But I do try. I try to learn and study. Im just not that bright. Looking behind me I see mother standing by the cab. Shes looking down. I cant help but think shes ashamed of me.
I silently follow Hailey but stop. I forgot to place my flowers down. I look at Hailey and she nods. I walk back through the crowed in black. They all sob and pray. I stand infront of the grave. They all stare. Its not hard to guess Mrs Murry blames me. I glance at her and she glares at me. Her husbands too busy staring into space. Michaels little sister, Suzy, is crying into his coat. I know it wasnt my fault but maybe I could have done something. Anything.
I place the lilys down. I stand back up but hesitate before walking away. 'Thankyou Michael.' I whisper. Then I walk away.