My Adversities and How I Overcame Them

"How are we ever going to fit in here?" I demanded to know as we walked into the storage room in the back of my mom's store. The walls were lined with boxes filled with our belongings. "We'll just have to make due," my mother answered. We had no choice. We had been evicted and the only thing we had was the store which wasn't doing so well. At that moment, it felt as though my world was crashing down on me and there was nothing I could do about it. I had moved three times in my life, but this last time was the hardest. Moving from one crummy apartment to the next wasn't that bad, but when you find out that you are moving into the back of your mom's store, it hurts a little. Knowing that you won't have an adequate shower or a nice, comfortable bed doesn't sound so bad at first, but after months of sleeping on the floor, the pain starts to kick in, not only physically but mentally as well. Interestingly, living in these inconvenient circumstances has had many benefits. It has taught me to adapt and cope to any situation, become highly creative and resourceful, as well as made me a better person.

         I have adapted quite well thanks to my amazing problem solving skills. I organized my clothes, using file cabinet drawers. In order to save money, I came up with the idea of using our minivan as a dryer. With the warm California sun clothes dry in no time. It doesn't cost a penny, and as a bonus, I save the planet by using solar energy! To create more space, I put up shelves. In order to study, I'll go in the restroom to get peace and quiet. I'll also walk to the Whittier Public Library to study after school especially on hot days which make our back room miserable. Since school sports are too expensive, I hike and backpack instead. I've coped by focusing on school, keeping busy in scouting, and giving back to others that are in greater need. Had it not been for my situation I don't think I would have been as involved in scouting as I have been. Not only have I learned many valuable lessons through scouting such as always being prepared and learning to make sure I do a good turn daily. I realized that it is important to always help someone out no matter what because you don;t have any idea what they are going through. Another lesson I learned was that their were many people who were even more worse off than I was and that motivated me take advantage of what I did have and be more optimistic instead of dwelling on all the negative. I also wouldn't have been able to take part in all the awesome adventures I did. The leaders in my Venturing Crew were always willing to help me out financially, without them I never would have been able to make it to the top of Mt.Whitney last summer. That was without question the most amazing experience I have ever had and they made it possible.

      Thanks to my experience I have a new perspective on life. I learned to focus on what I do have as well as be mindful to be thrifty and not wasteful. It has caused me to become more compassionate toward others, a humanitarian, and less materialistic. For instance, I know many kids that have beautiful homes, and have the latest smart phone or video game, yet they are still not happy. They focus on material things and fail to realize that they fill the voids they have in their heart with the next BIG THING. I in turn feel enriched and fulfilled when I spend time tutoring someone. I enjoy watching their face light up when the concept finally clicks in their head and they truly understand it. It's not only  a moment of enlightenment for them, but for myself as well. It's moments like that, that make me smile and give my life meaning and purpose. It was because of this that  I realized my true passion for teaching students. I chose to get more involved with students like myself who come from financially challenged families like myself and other students who are just seeking some help from someone who they can count on. I want to help anyone one I could and try and reach out to those who truly need it.

      My situation has inspired me to become a community leader. I would like to be a teacher or possibly a school counselor and serve youth in that type of capacity. I want to help kids learn as well as support them through rough times. I feel that I would be able to empathize and connect with kids, especially those from underprivileged and at risk backgrounds. I remember my sophomore year I confided my situation to one of my teachers and he surprised me by looking into resources that my school offered for homeless students. I remember how nice it felt that somebody cared. I want to be able to do that for my future students. That is why I felt the need to make sure that I got into a great college so that way I would be able to give back. I want to be the teacher that all my students feel comfortable with. The one person they feel they can reach out to when a situation at home or school gets too tough and they realize they can't face it alone. I want to be their guide to the road map of life. I always want to be available to them no matter what and help them seek comfort and solutions to their problems. My adversity has taught me many great lessons, but the greatest of all is too appreciate what you have when you have it as well as making sure that you always, no matter what are giving back.

Vivianna's Victory: A Story of Triumph Over Adversity It is the experiences, the great triumphant joy of living to the fullest extent in which real meaning is found. God it's great to be alive! Christopher McCandelessWhere stories live. Discover now