Spinning Yarns

A lonely flower sits on a thorny bush,

when a butterfly made its ambush.

It imbibed the poisonous nectar of death,

And fell to the cold earth out of breath.

Still the lonely flower sits on the thorny bush,

waiting for another butterfly’s ambush.

In the small town of Hestia, all was vivid and fresh, and brimming with life. There was a song in every heart; and if the heart was youthful the melody issued at the lips. There was glee in every face, and a blissful spring in every step. The trees were in bloom and the delicate scent of blossoms filled the air. Figg Hill, beyond the village and above it, was green with vegetation and from afar seemed like a delectable land, dreamy, reposeful and inviting.        

There were once two sisters fair and pure that lived in the town. One’s beauty was beyond beautiful and much greater than perfection. Her auburn locks contrasted the hue of her seductive emerald eyes that soften even the toughest heart and sets desire upon every soul that catches its gaze. Her skin was smooth like porcelain and skin as fair as snow.  However, her interior was opposite to what her outer manifests. Arethusa was unkind and avaricious. The other, named Alphaea was unfortunately not blessed with a charming face but was not ugly at all. She had her mother’s flaxen hair and cobalt eyes and perhaps her heart too. The only upsetting feature on her face was a big birthmark that occupied half of her face. Despite her appearance, she was compassionate, patient, enduring and humble.

Arethusa was older by a year than Alphaea. Their mother died after giving birth to Alphaea which made her father and sister resentful to her. Her father remarried a rich woman whom was as terrible as her sister. Because her sister was beautiful, their stepmother favored her and loathed Alphaea because of her looks.

The girls’ deceased father owned a house on the busiest part of the kingdom thanks to Miranda his new wife. Miranda was an attractive woman for her age. She had black curly hair tied upright with a purple satin ribbon and intense brown eyes. Her brows were as thin as yarn and were extremely raised that made her look very mean.

Miserably, Alphaea lived apart from them. She dwelled in a dainty yellow cottage on the middle of the woods her whole life. Around it were blue larkspurs and lovely poppies. Roses crept the cottage’s exterior and honeysuckles nestled on the window frames. Beside the cottage was a cherry tree that looked very lovely. Living with her was Orissa, her maid. She took care of Alphaea ever since the child was born and loved her as she was her own. She became her teacher and mother. Orissa rarely takes Alphaea with her whenever she goes to town so Alphaea hardly ever left the cottage.

            On the other hand, Arethusa, ever so dazzling, lived a merry life free from troubles and pain. The only problem she had were the number of lads from distant places that gamble to have her hand in marriage. She would seldom visit her sister in the little cottage and crow about her looks and tell stories about men who had courted her. One day she said to her,

            “If it has not been for your looks, you could have lived a life like mine.”

            But our heroine ever so modest, would only smile and respond,

            “Oh dearest sister if you may allow me, but if it not has been for my looks, I could have not lived a happy contented life.”

“Very well then, if that pleases you, I shall go now for I have to attend the grandest ball tonight. I shall wear my new tailored ball gown and I shall pair it off with my purple corset.”