This Life of Mine

There he is again. I think to myself as I pass him in the cafeteria. No matter where I’m at or who I’m with we always catch eye contact. I know I’ve never talked to him before, but I still feel this pull towards him when our eyes meet. I know nothing will ever happen between us because he doesn’t even know I exist on the planet even less the university.

Well if you want to know my name is Adrianna Lewis and I am a freshman at Lakedale University. It’s only been a semester since I started but I love the school. Right now I’m in the second semester and it was going great. I have the perfect friends that I love and I’m doing great in all of my classes. I feel like nothing could bring me down, then I see him.

I guess you’re wondering who he is. Well his name is Matthias Alcorn; he is a junior at my school. One day I saw him as I was just starting in my first semester of school, and he hasn’t left my head yet. I know it’s crazy; I’ve never even talked to him before. Why should I try to go to someone who barley knows me and would probably think I was weird? Yeah I know I’m being anti-social but it’s the truth. I’m just your average freshman and he’s a basketball player that is adored by the whole school. He has his own friends and I have my own.

Well as I was saying earlier we always make awkward eye contact and I don’t know why. It always happens either I’m walking to class or I will see him in the café. We never say anything so I assume he’s just staring at something else and I just happen to be in the way. There’s only one friend I tell about these weird moments and her name is Quendyl. She understands but only a little. My other friends know, but I’ve all convinced them that I’m totally over him, except for her. She can read me like a book sadly.

As I sit down with my friends at lunch I can peer through my eyes just to catch a glimpse of him eating and laughing with his friends. I wish I could sit over there and talk to him to make him laugh, but sadly that day will never come. As lunch comes to a close me and my friends start walking. Quendyl slowly falls into step with me as my other friends are ahead of us.

“I saw you staring at him?” she said as she drunk some of her lemonade from her cup she got from the café. “Yeah I know, I’ll try to stop, It’s just so hard”, I stopped to look at my phone to check the time, “It’s just I don’t want to like him, but it just happens.”

“Yeah I can tell, you just have to learn how to forget”, she said as she smiled while patting me on the back.

“Yeah I know. I’m trying every day, it’s just the eye contact gives me some kind of false hope”, I said with a short laugh to myself. I know I wanted to turn off my feelings, and just when I thought they were gone, I would see hi, and the liking him would come back full force.

“Well it will come eventually”, she said as she smiled and walked ahead with my other friends. I just pulled out my headphones and turned my playlist to my favorite song called Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran.

I smiled as the lyrics sort of related to me.

Give me love like never before,

'cause lately I've been craving more,

and it's been a while but I still feel the same,

Maybe I should let you go,

Those lyrics mean so much to me. I feel as though I deserve love to. I know what you’re thinking I’m just a freshman in college I have a lot ahead of me, but I just wish I could have someone to share that with you know. I just want someone to pick me up when I was sad, and to cheer me on when I was doing well.

As I got back to the dorm, I walked to my room and opened the door. I quickly said hey to my roommate as I grabbed my laptop and put it in the case. I was ready to head to the library. Usually I will go to the library to have alone time to just think to myself and read.