Gamer

It was like any other day of my summer break. I was locked in my house, lights off and controller in hand. I was tearing it up tonight, I was the absolute boss at this game. Social life? Ha, who needs that.

"Come on!" I yelled at the screen, wanting to throw my controller down, but deciding better of it.

I click a few more buttons in a rapid sequence, fighting my way through the horde of zombies for a while before I get taken out. "Dang it." I hiss, throwing my controller down hard on the comfy couch cushions.

Suddenly a blinding light fills up the room. I let out a screech, throwing my blanket over my head and burying my face in the cushions.

"Grey! Are you gaming again? I thought I told you to get out and be a normal teen!" My mum's angry tone reaches my ears in a muffled way. I groan, sitting back up with the blanket over my head.

"No...." I lie through my teeth even though it was painfully evident I did nothing of the sort. "But besides. Normal teens do game. I'm awesome at this game too." I smile at her, though she looks pissed. "Fine!"

I shut off everything and run up the stairs to my room, plopping on my bed. I pull out my phone and send a quick text to my only real friend.

Wolf, get your ass over here.

He replies back in a few seconds.

Why?

Cause I said so. And I'm bored.
Game with meeee.

Fine. Give me a minute.

I smile with triumph and start working on turning on my upstairs game system and getting my favorite game in. By the time I connect two controllers and get the game to load up, Wolf bursts through my door.

"Yay. Finally!" I sigh dramatically, tossing him a controller as he throws himself onto my bed next to me.

"What do you mean 'finally'? I'm your neighbor, it literally took me under a minute to sneak out of my house and get over here." He laughs.

"I know, but it felt like forever. Now let's play!" I yell, starting the game and catching him off guard.

"What! Ah, no fair! This is Assassin! You rule at this game, you're gonna kill me within seconds." He groans and I can't help but laugh.

We instantly forget about speaking when we start getting into the game. The room was completely silent, other than the sound controllers clicking and the occasional noises from the game. We were probably playing for at least thirty minutes when I decided that Wolf was totally getting whooped at this. He was on the floor at this point with his back leaning against the end of my bed. I killed him once again and he let out a growl of irritation.

"C'mon now, I can beat you playing upside down!" I laugh, flipping over so my head hung off the edge of the bed right next to his. I looked up at the screen, everything upside down now, but still easy to comprehend. It was still easy as pie. Find your opponent, track them, kill 'em when they aren't expecting it.

I watched the screen as Wolf's last character came into view and I killed him. I see him in the corner of my eye turn his head, I turn mine as well to face him. Our faces inches from each other and I can feel his breath on my face. His eyes narrow, "Spare me, would you? You're too good at this."