Untitled Chapter 1

What if I, of all people, were to fall in love. The thought makes me cringe. I can't fall in love?! That's insanity... Right? I mean, I, Liam Scott, can't possibly fall in love. I'm only 23. I'm having the time of my life, yet as soon as she walks into my life, I'm changed. I just don't get it. I guess I never will.

It started on the first day. She rushed in from the cold, snow covering her ivory skin and her gorgeous brown hair. Her blue eyes sparkling; her hair perfectly framing her face. Even the snow stuck in her curls sparkled. Every step she took as she approached the counter made my heart race. I didn't know what to do. She glided up to the counter, shoes covered in ice, stared at the menu, analyzing over ever item and choices available. Suddenly, I was paralyzed. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. I didn't realize that I was staring right into those deep blue eyes of hers. I was so afraid. Fear isn't a common emotion for someone like me, yet I was afraid. Here, in front of me, lies the most magnificent creature I have ever laid eyes upon, yet I can't seem to find the one thing I'm looking for. She's had the look. If only I could muster up the courage to speak to her. Okay, here goes nothing. "Hi. What can I do for you today?" Suddenly, my courage level shot through the roof. "Hi. I've never been here before so anything good to drink?" she replied happily. "I'll surprise you." I said with a smirk. As I made her coffee drink, we made small talk. Just small conversation about the snow covered streets and the best coffee shops in town. I found out her name was Adrianna. I think she was Italian. I'm not sure. Anyway, she's perfect. She's pretty, intelligent, and has the most adorable laugh. She'd never go for a guy like me.

Within the next week, she came in to the shop again, the start of day two. It was cold in New York, as it always was. She sauntered in, her large coat billowing through the harsh, icy wind. Once again, as she crept up to the counter, attempting not slip, her icy boots slid across the cold, tile floor as she tumbled backwards. I bolted toward the helpless woman, catching her delicate body in my arms. The ice that remained in the fur lining of her coat burned my arms with an icy sting. We sat there, gazing deeply into each others eyes. Her eyes tore away quickly in embarrassment as she rose. I stumbled to my feet, trying to regain my balance on the icy floor. She giggled as I clumsily crept up into the standing position, only to stumble again. I was making a complete fool of myself in front of this beautiful woman, who giggled as she supported me enough for me to get to my feet. As our eyes met for the first time since the first day she walked into my life, I felt as though I could see her hopes and dreams. People say "the eyes are the window to the soul." I've heard it plenty of times but for the first time in my life I would believe that it was true, and in that moment I knew this would be the person I was destined to spend my entire life with. Eternity? That's a long time. But it was true. I was desperately in love with a woman whom I could never call my own.