Chapter One

cap·ti·vate 

tr.v. cap·ti·vat·edcap·ti·vat·ingcap·ti·vates

1.     To attract and hold by charm, beauty, or excellence.

Chapter One

            Whenever Hope looked out of her bedroom window, she saw the busy world she longed to be a part of. As a child, she grew up believing that she never would. That she would never breathe in the air from the city, or that she would never feel the softness of the grass, or that she would never taste the grease dripping from her slice of pizza. Instead, she was stuck living in a tower, one she had grown to call home.

            This life was the only life she knew. This was the life her mother and her father had raised her to love with a hateful passion. Unfortunately, she had to accept that she was never going to find peace with normal people. She closed her doe brown eyes and laid her head back against the wall, letting the sun from the beautiful day glow onto her pale face. The sounds of the home she had always lived in filled her ears; she could hear it all, the faint dinging of the grandfather clock below, the whistling of the tea pot on the stove, the music coming from her father’s bedroom, even the sound the tower would make as it shifted involuntarily. It seemed even now, she could hear the pitter patter of feet on the wooden floors below. This building hadn’t always been a tower that imprisoned her. It once was a beautiful cottage, one that housed a loving family, a family of a daughter, a mother and a father. However, things didn’t start out that way.

While her mother was pregnant with Hope, she had told her husband something was wrong, that she could sense something wrong with her daughter. When her daughter was born, she was horrified to see that she had been born with a white head, her eyes white, with no pupils, her lips were white as well, and she didn’t move. Her fingers were the only thing that would even budge the smallest amount. Desperate, her mother had searched for something to cure her baby, something that would change the fate of her ill daughter. In return, her mother had found a witch. Her mother had brought the baby to this witch, and with one look at the ill child in the hysteric woman’s arms, she knew what was wrong. The baby had been born with an unknown disease to the human world, but one known to the supernatural world, one that cursed the child to a life of solitude, and silence. Naturally, her mother had begged the witch for help, but she had not known what she was asking for. The witch told her that without the magic, the baby would die within her first year of living, which only made her mother want it more.

            This spell was not just a game. This spell needed one thing and one thing only, the sacrifice of a blood relative of the baby. A sacrifice, that would give life to the child and let her live a long, almost normal life.

            Her mother was crestfallen with the information she had received. All her life, she had wanted nothing more than a daughter. Someone she could play house with, cook with and laugh with. There were only two other relatives Hope had, her father and her oldest brother. Her mother could not bear the thought of letting her two loved family members be killed for her daughter. As she had walked home that night, the silent baby in her arms, she had cried. She had cried for help, cried for a way for her baby to live. When she had returned home that night, she told her husband of the tale she had endured that evening. Just as his wife had, he refused to let his son be killed for his daughter. He wanted his daughter to live a normal, happy life, but if it meant the loss of his own son or his own wife, he wouldn’t endure it.

            Little did they know how close their son was, and how much of this he had heard.

            Jayson was a normal boy of 18. When he had discovered his mother would have a baby, he had been just as excited as a lonely boy would be. He had always wanted to see a baby grow up and know that he was part of that baby’s happiness. But now as he stood by the doorway, listening to his parents talk of how their baby wouldn’t live a year, his heart broke. He grabbed the paper his mother had used to map out this witch, and left that night.

            Later that evening, her mother was rocking her silent baby in her crib. Humming a lullaby, even though she knew her daughter would never hear the tunes of sweet music. Her mother had left her to fetch a blanket for her, but when she returned she had not expected what lay in that crib.

            Hope’s hair was the first thing she had noticed.

            It was long, curly and brown. The most beautiful head of hair she had seen. Next were her eyes, where once there had been white marbles, now were big doe shaped eyes, with brown and gold iris’s and big black pupils. Her lips were plump and pink and her skin was a beautiful shade of ivory.

            Tears had filled her mother’s eyes and she had cried for her husband to come quickly, which he did. They stared down at the giggling, happy little baby in her crib, playing with her own toes and staring at her parents adoringly. They began to wonder then what had brought this on, what was this miracle that had brought them their beautiful, happy, picture perfect baby girl they had dreamed of.

            It wasn’t until Jayson never returned that they knew their answer.

[ This is all I currently have, thought I would throw this out there and see what people thought. Will do Chapter Two tomorrow evening and post it then. Thank you. (: ]