Promises

May Pov

After everyone got done eating, I went to wash the dishes, only for Mama to place a hand on top of mine.

"Chris, Christopher! Y'all do the dishes while I talk to our guest." They nod, and Chris nudges Christopher as we walked out the kitchen.

"Come on child." We walk into Christopher's bedroom, since it was closer to the kitchen. Once we sat on the bed, Mama spoke up.

"I know you like my son."

"Yes ma'am. Wait-how?"

"A mother knows. Plus I see the way you look at him. But, I'm concerned."

"Why?" She leans in and whispers.

"Because Chris likes you a lot. But, you like Christopher more." My eyes widen at this.

"He doesn't like me Mama. He's just a huge flirt. Like he said, 'I had bout ten numbers 'fore I got to first block' his words exactly."

"Child, I can see it in his eyes he likes you more than those other hoes that come at him. Can't you see you make him smile the hardest when he sees you? I've never in my life seen him so nervous around a girl like he was at dinner tonight! Rambling and all that." I sigh and look down at my lap.

"But I just meet him. I don't understand."

"Baby, just promise me that you'll follow your heart and not your brain. Don't think.. Feel."

"I promise Mama."