The Battle

They follow that dog like a leader, Goldenstar thought. She charged, biting his front paw. He bit her, but she managed a swipe at his chest. He let go and Goldenstar  ducked under him and started to scrape his flank. He rose up and Goldenstar rolled over so much as to not get smushed or scraped by his paws. Suddenly she felt herself trapped. Just as the dog leaned down, she bit his arm and broke free. He disappeared into the battle. Another dog went for her and she bit his hind paw to fling him over and hit the ground. His eyes showed surprise.

Oh really? Goldenstar thought. I'll show you how a true warrior fights!

She unsheathed her claws and bared her teeth. She bushed up her fur and slowly walked toward the dog. His eyes now showed alarm. She scratched the ground and held it in the air for a warning scratch. Her hind legs bent and her ears were laid back. She hissed. She fought quick and hard, killing the dog in the end.

Just like that, the battle broke up. But there were so many bodies. Goldenstar couldn't see clearly. What had happened to her clan?

"Goldenstar!!!" shouted Haretail. "We need help!"

There are too many dogs, thought Goldenstar.

"Haretail! Get the other clans right now!" Haretail leapt out of battle just as Goldenstar slammed to the ground. She turned around and clawed furiously.