Chapter 3

Chapter 3;

I walked quietly to my mom's room, and as if not trying to disturb her in her sleep, I opened the door. I couldn't handle going into my room because it was there that my life went upside down. And as for going into my sister's room, well I could just imagine her asking me to play with her and her creepy stuffed dolls in there and I knew if that happened the tears would never stop. I went into my mom's room because it always brought comfort when I had nightmares and I had that last bit of hope that this was just one big creepy, sadistic nightmare. I lay down on my mom's bed and cuddled a pillow to try replace my mom. It didn't work. The only comfort I could get was the slowly fading scent of her favourite perfume. I looked around the room at my mother's belongings and noticed a few boxes at the top of her wardrobe. I pulled over the chair from her desk and took down three boxes. I opened the first one and all that was in there were some of her old clothes and the same was in the second. As for the third it was just looked like a whole bunch of meaningless teddies. I got back up onto the chair to check if I had missed anything. I had.

I reached to the back of the wardrobe and grabbed the last box. It wasn't very heavy but it was about the same size as an average family board game box. I pulled it towards me and lifted it down from the top of the wardrobe. I put it on the desk and opened it carefully like whatever was in there was about to disappear. I closed my eyes a took a deep breathe. Why would my mom go to such great lengths to hide it? What was in here? I was about to find out.

I opened my eyes and merrily looked confused at the contents of the box. All that was there were a whole load of what looked like files. I picked up the one at the top of the pile and opened it. This is when I gasped.

I looked down at the words of the file trying to make sense of the words that were written on the page. I looked at the photograph and back at the name. Back and forth, back and forth I looked between them. So this is what actually happened to my dad. I couldn't believe it. The whole thing was like de ja vu. I flicked through the rest of the file but just couldn't wrap my head around the picture of the crime scene. It was exactly like my mom and sister's crime scene. The sudden realisation came over me like a tidal wave crashing down on the lovely soft, warm sand and flooding into the nearby city, destroying everything and everyone in its path. My mom, dad and little sister were all killed by the same person or even people. And just like this time they had never caught who did it. I checked the name of the officer who was put in charge of the investigation. His name sounded familiar. Lt David O'Brian....where did I hear that name before? I decided to ignore the nagging feeling in the pit of my stomach and continue looking through the rest of the files. There was only three more. They were all files from private investigators but they had all been looking for someone different. I didn't recognise any of the names that my mom had been looking for. But judging by the information given, each one came up empty handed.