Warming Up

"Starla, are you hungry?" Alex asked me as he showed me around the house. I stayed close to him the whole time. Even if I didn't trust him yet, he was the only one kind of knew wouldn't hurt me.

We just ate, though? So why is she asking me? Instead of questioning it, I just shook my head.

"Are you sure?"

"Didn't we just eat?" I questioned.

He looked down at me, worried. "Yeah, but you're so small. And you haven't ate in a week, according to you. Plus, you're a wolf, we have a bigger appetite."

I bit my lip. "I never had much of an appetite. We didn't get to eat much in my old pack."

"What happened to you in you old pack?"

I bit my lip harder and looked down, staring at the dirt beneath my feet.

After a minute of not talking, he sighed. "Ok, you don't have to tell me right now. But you do know no one in this pack, especially when I'm around, will hurt you. I swear," he looked at me in full honesty that you could deny his words to be false.

"I know," I said quietly.

"Starla, I mean it. You can tell me anything."

I nodded, smiling small at him. After a moment of silence, I called his name quietly. "Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Why are you so nice to me?"

His eyes looked at me then he sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "You're apart of this pack now. You deserve to be treated like a queen."

I sighed and looked up at him as we got to the porch of the house. "My old pack... They didn't treat women nicely. We were the lower gender. Males were always dominant over the females."

Alex took my hand gently. "Not here, Star. Here, you're going to be treated right."

I closed my eyes.

"What was you're Alpha's name before?" He questioned, curiously.

"Gabriel Vendermont."

Alex's eyes suddenly glazed over and he growled. "The northern pack?"

I nodded slowly, backing away from Alex. He wasn't scary, but that face... It was of pure hatred.

His eyes softened when he saw me back away from him. "Starla, I swear to you, you're never going back there. Gabriel and I... We aren't exactly friends... Quite opposite actually... No one from that pack is going to lay one more finger on you if I can help it."

I smiled small. "Thank you, Alex. You really are an amazing Alpha. You're pack must be proud."

Alex's POV

"Thank you, Alex. You really are an amazing Alpha. You're pack must be proud."

And with that one sentence, pride shot through me. My mate thinks I'm an amazing alpha. "You're apart of this pack now too, Star."

She smiled a bit bigger. Not a full smile just yet, but a small one. "I'm proud that you're my alpha."

Pride completely took over me. The wolf was beaming with confidence and love. "That really, seriously means a lot, Star."

And right then, I knew... She's warmed up to me.