Before the Sky Fell

An Icarus Series Novella

(Prequel to Killshot- Icarus Series Book One)

By Aria Michaels

Copyright © 2014

Copyright

This book is an original publication of Aria Michaels. Killshot is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or have been adapted fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, alive or dead, as well as businesses, locations, groups, or organizations is purely coincidental. The publisher and author do not accept responsibility for any third-party website, social media personality or groups, or their content.

BTSF Copyright © 2014 Aria Michaels

Cover Art © 2014 Kari Ayasha at Cover to Cover Designs

Edited by Claire Allmendinger at BNW Author Services

Rights

All Rights Reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced, scanned, or distributed in any printed or electronic format without expressed written consent of the author and/or publisher.

Please do not participate in or encourage the piracy of copyrighted materials. It is not only a violation of the author's rights, but of copyright law. Purchase only authorized editions.

Printed proudly in the United States of America

Prologue

Exhaustion and worry weighed heavily on me as I looked around the dark room at the sleeping shadows of my friends and classmates. As much as I wanted to, there was little I could do to ease their suffering or calm their fears. How could I when I couldn't even quiet the voices keeping me awake?

We had already lost two of our own to the primary flare when Solar Storm Icarus hit, and that loss was weighing heavily on the group. While there was no way to know for sure what was happening beyond the walls of our temporary safe haven, it was safe to assume things had likely gotten worse. The heat that followed the initial blast was slowly creeping in around us, making it hard to breathe, and even harder to stay hopeful.

My lids grew heavy but I struggled against sleep, despite the thoughts racing through my mind. Less than twelve hours ago I was a normal seventeen year old kid waiting tables at the diner, texting a cute boy, and wondering when I would finally get to see my little brother. If you had asked me yesterday about the end of the world, I would have laughed in your face and told you it had already happened. I would have said that it had ended months ago...Before the sky fell.

Chapter 1 

Promises

"Seriously, Dad?" I complained; looking down at the Captain America blanket he had dropped into my arms. "Do I really have to do this, tonight?"

"Liv," Dad scowled at me.