Awkward

Perspective : Juli Baker
- - -

After Bryce and I patted the last patch of soil around my new sycamore tree, we did not know what to say.

We just stared at each other.

I bit my lip as his hands were stuffed into his pockets. The silence was beyond uncomfortable. Then Chet finally broke the silence, "Bryce! Get inside it's awfully late!" I fully see Chet, but I knew he stuck his head out of the window in all means to embarrass his grandson.

"Alright grandpa! Let me just talk to Juli real quick!" Bryce snapped.

"You've got a minute!"

I couldn't help but laugh, it's great to see their relationship growing. Chet always told me that Bryce wasn't one to talk.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow?"

"Yes." I said awkwardly and awfully quick. I don't know what came over me, but I hugged him. I was a strong, eighty percent sure that I was still upset with him.

"Thank you Bryce." I said in a hushed tone. We both walked back up to out porches, but before we entered our houses, we waved at each other and went in.

As I entered my house, I smelled pie. "Hmmm pie," I took a long sniff, "bluberry? No Banana and black berry." I said as I licked my lips.

"How did you guess it, my little genius?" Mom asked. "I have super smell remember?" I replied.

"More like trying to be a cute thirteen year old." my older brother Matt said. "Shut up would ya." I said annoyed. Matt and Mark laughed and walked away.

"That boy sure does know how to win you back."

"He sure does, mom."

"Why don't you walk over to the Loski's and ask them if they would like to come over at 6:30 for pie?" she asked.

"Fine, but I'm taking Mark with me, since he has a crush on L-Lyn-Lynet-" I was cut off by the sound elephant stomps coming from the hallway.

"Lynetta? Did you just say Lynetta?" Said Mark running down the hall. My Mom and I just bursted into a fit of laughter.

"I am going to the Loski's to ask them over for dessert later. Want to come?" I said softly, yet perky in a subtle way.

"No, I don't want to walk across the street." He said grumpily. "Oh come on grumpy pants. There's a twenty-five percent chance of Lynetta answering the door." I said very hopefully. "Fine." His smile flipped upside down in the blink of an eye.

We walked across the street, when -out of the blue- he shot me with the most random statement.

"I don't know why I'm even trying, there is no way Lynetta will ever like me. She genuinely likes Skyler, she never stops talking about him! 'Skyler this, Skyler that.' They're perfect for each other." Mark said, sadly. "Mark-" It was to late we were already at the Loski's door and he knocked.

"Hi guys, what's up? Bryce, your girlfriend is at the door!" yelled Lynetta. What are the odds, Lynetta answered the door. Mark's frown turned upside down when he saw Lynetta. Bryce appeared at the door. "Juli! What's up?" Bryce said awkwardly. "

I was going to reply when my brother finally grew some hairs on his chin and talked to his future wife.

"So Lyn. I mean Lynetta. *Coughs* My mom wanted to know if you guys wanted to come over for dessert at uh-" Mark looked at me for help. "Oh yes, 6:30!"

"Great we will see you then! Let me tell my parents!" said Bryce. "See you then, bye!" I said as we walked off. Mark kept looking at the floor and bitting his lip in a smiling matter. Once he fiddled with his thumbs, I knew that something was up.

"What's up with you lover boy?" I asked teasingly. "Do you think Lyn, might, well you know, like me?" said Mark hoping for a yes. "Mark you're amazing. You could have a shot with anyone." I said nicely. "Thanks loser." He said. "Whatever." I said as I punched him on the arm. "Ouch" he said. "That wasn't even hard, you baby." I said. We walked into my house.

Hey! It's MayaE24! This is my sequel book to Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanan.
-If I made a mistake please right it in the comments.
-I will try to update as much as possible.
-Please don't copy right this book.
-I am not plagiarizing.
-I do not own Flipped.
*I hope you enjoy!