Chapter 1

Picture: Kara

  "No, really." Alice replied. "I'm fine."
  "If you're sure!" Kara sighed. "Anyway, I'm getting tired. I'll talk to you later."
"Ok." Alice whispered. "Bye."
"Bye."
Alice locked her phone and plugged it up to charge. She looked in the mirror and sighed. Her eyes were red where she had rubbed away her tears. Her long hair brown hair was tangled and frizzy.
I can just brush it tomorrow. She thought. She stumbled over to her side-table and flopped into bed. She layed restlessly and thought about her night.
                               ****
"Ok, mom!" Alice said excitedly. "I'll see you in a couple hours!" Alice shut the car door and her mother pulled away. She was exited. It was finally Friday night and time for prom. She smiled when she saw her friend, Kara, waving at her through the cafeteria window. She rushed to the door to meet her.
  "Hey!" Kara called. "You ready for prom?"
  "I sure am!" She called back. Her dress was light blue with sparkles and gemstones. On her head, she wore a headband to match. Her hair was curled at the bottom, and she wore lipgloss with a light pigment of pink.
  As Kara and Alice were walking in, Alice got a call from her dad, who stayed home while Alice was being dropped off at prom.
  "Hold on a sec Kara." Alice said as she stopped. "Dad is calling me."
  "Ok. I'll wait at the snack bar." Alice smiled as Kara ran off and pulled a wad of money from her back pocket. She then answered her phone.
  "Hey dad! What's up?" Alice said.
  "Alice. I have an important matter to talk about." Her father said sadness in his voice.
  "Oh, ok..." Alice replied, suddenly feeling unsure. "What is it?"
  "Alice. Max is dead."
  Alice suddenly felt nauseous. Chills ran up her spine and tears began streaming down her face. "My dog? One of my only friends? What happened?" she demanded in between sniffles.
  "He got hit by a car. He got out of the house and-"
  Alice suddenly snapped out of the past. She didn't want to remember anymore. She felt tears running down her face. She slowly drifted off to sleep.         
                               ****
"No! Max!" Alice wailed as her dog ran towards the road. Tears streamed down her face as headlights shown on his ginger fur. The car shot by and Alice heard a loud cut off whimper.
  "No!" she cried.
  "She will suffer here." a voice rang behind her. Alice spun around to see a black figure a few yards away from her.
  "Who.... who are you?" she stuttered in shock.
  The figure ignored her question. "She will suffer here!" it called into the darkness. "Take her away!"
  Alice screamed as a large creature flew out of the trees and picked her up by the arm. It's claws dug into her arm. She shrieked in pain as the creature's talons dug deeper into her arm. Blood ran down her arm and onto her pajamas.
What's going on? she thought. What will happen to me?!
  Suddenly there was a loud gunshot. The creature let go of Alice. She opened her mouth to scream but nothing came out. She fell, and fell, and fell. She never stopped falling. Down into the darkness.

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Mythical creatures will be in the following chapters! ;-)