Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Justin Drew Bieber

My hands were shaking, my head pounded so hard that I could barely see. I tried to open up my eyes and saw a white wall in front of me.

This was the end, I thought. I was ready. Ready for death.

But after flashing a number of times I soon realized that I was in a room. A room with white walls, alone. And a bed of course, because that was where I was right now.

I sat up slowly with the help of my elbow. I looked around me. It took me a little longer to realize that I shouldn’t be here. It took me a very long time to realize that I don’t even know where I was.

A blanket was covering my cold body, but I pulled quickly from me. When I saw my foot, I stopped suddenly in my sudden movements. The foot was wrapped in some kind of weird material, I didn’t know what, but it looked good there. I raised an eyebrow.

I let my eyes sweep across the white room again. Why was I here?

I shut my eyes tightly, wanting to try to remember anything.

But everything was black.

I opened my eyes and hit my hand hard against the mattress I now sat on.

Why couldn’t I just remember?

Just when I would close my eyes again, the door opened and in stepped a woman dressed in a white coat and blue shoes. She had a binder in her arms and a pencil behind her ear. She tossed her hair over her right shoulder before she shut the door behind her and smiled at me.

I couldn’t smile back, I didn’t even know why I was here.

"Hey, you." She said quietly and placed her binder on the table beside my bed.

"How are you feeling?" She put her hair in a messy bun and then picked up her binder again.

I swallowed and looked down at my feet before I looked at the woman again.

"Why am I here?"

She bit her lower lip before she wrote something in her folder.

"You passed out." She began, before she went on record. "And in addition, you've got a pretty serious infection.”

I frowned at her.

"How serious?"

She shrugged her shoulders lightly.

"It’ll be alright, it's something that can be fixed. You just need to be patient. "

I just nodded and followed her steps towards the other side of the room with my eyes. She picked up a glass from a cabinet that hung on the wall, turned on the tap and filled the glass with water.

"So.” I started. “Why did I pass out?”

She turned off the tap and brought the glass over to me. She handed over the glass and I took it to later take a sip.

"We don’t know." She noted.

I frowned.

"What do you know? When can I go home? "

She sighed lightly.

"All I know is that someone carried you all the way here in the middle of the night."

"Who?"

"He didn’t give out his last name for some reason, so all I know is that his name is Kenneth. And he's huge. "

She laughed a little before she sat down on the stool that stood beside my bed.

"But don’t worry." She put a hand over mine. "I'll get you out of here as soon as possible."

I jumped out of the hospital on my crutches with a half smile. I was glad I finally got to get away from there and I would have yet another reason to stay home from school, but I was still scared. I had been away for quiet a while and I didn’t know how my mother would react. Hopefully she would understand that I was injured, and not try with anything on me. But you never knew with her.

I jumped out of the parking lot and saw a car I recognized very well. It was the car my mother always used to take a ride with on the weekends. I didn’t know where it took her, I just knew it was the car she hitchhiked with.

And I could see her sitting in the back seat.

If I could take the shortcut through the center and then over the bridge, I could make it home before her and she would never know that I have been away for so long.

I bit my lower lip and went for it.

People in the center looked at me strangely. Probably because I was jumping around on crutches, but who knows. It could be because it was me aswell. I didn’t use to hang in the center if you say so. I didn’t really use to hand anywhere in particular.

I finally came through downtown and took me half way across the slippery bridge before I saw that guy again. My heart skipped a beat, I didn’t know why, but it just did.

And somehow miraculously, I went up to him twice as fast as I made my way through the center.

Woah there.

I don’t really know what I was doing to be honest.

He just stood with his elbows leaning over the fence, and with the same balaclava over his head.

"Hi." I said and he immediately jumped away from me. He certainly hadn’t heard me coming. Or, well, jumping.

He was taller than me, but that wasn’t so strange. The majority were taller than me.

He looked down at the ground and scratched his neck.

"I have no idea who you are." I said honestly, and then went a little closer to him since he had jumped back in fear.

"But I know what you've tried to do." I said. "A number of times, actually."

I sighed and looked down at the ground aswell.

"And I want to say that it’s not worth it."

I looked up at him again, but he had his eyes firmly down at the ground, still. I just sighed.

"So please. Don’t do anything stupid. "

I started jumping off on my crutches again, but he took a firm hold of my forearm. I dropped the crutches and turned around.

He let go of me, and then moved his hand to his balaclava. He grabbed it and was about to take it off when a car pulled up beside us.

The driver cranked down the car window and my heart literally stopped.

"Cassidy? What the hell are you doing out here? "

I was so dead.