To kill a blue bird

Ring! The alarm clock woke Jean Louise with a start. She slowly reached her arm out and smashed the metal object with more power then she uses to hit her brother, Jeremy. She quietly rolled over to waken Charles.

“Pst!” she whispered groggily into his sleeping ear. “It’s six. Wake up or you’ll be late.” The man next to her grumbled and sat up. He turned to Jean and glared. He then walked to the bathroom and gently closed the door behind him.

Once she heard the shower water hit the tub in its attempt to escape the pipes, Jean slid off the bed and crouched on the ground. She pulled a small white box from under the bed. She stood then placed the box on the mattress, careful not to break its contents. The wooden dresser in the corner held a silk ribbon the same shade of blue as Charles’s eyes. Jean quickly removed the ribbon and crafted a bow and tied it around the box neatly.

The day was June 28th, 1964, and a very special occasion. The baby sitter had been called and Jean was bouncing with excitement. She grabbed a black marker and in bold letters she wrote “Dill”. At that moment the shower turned off.

She hid the box behind her back and tried to look inconspicuous. The bathroom door opened to Charles in his interview clothes. He grabbed his work boots and sat on the bed next to Jean.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Jean asked sternly after Charles had a boot on.

“To work…?” He answered with a question.

“Yeah, I don’t think you are.”

“Then I have a…” he stopped realizing it was a trap.

“Then you have a what?”

“An audition.”

“Reschedule.”

“It’s really important. It’s with Broadway.”

“Does it look like I care? Reschedule.”

“I can’t.”

“You don’t remember what today is, do you?” sadness and hurt flashed across her face, then was chased by annoyance. “I went through all of this trouble to get you the perfect gift then you don’t remember.”

“What don’t I remember?” Charles asked puzzled.

“Today is the 28th. Ring any bells?” when he still didn’t have a clue, she said, “This was the day we met.” Just as she said that, Charles walked over to the dresser and removed a long black velvet box and sat on the bed again. She glared at him with a fire and threw some curses his way and his reaction was laughter. “That was rude.” She said still angered.

“Just be quiet and open it.” He said with amusement in his eyes. She slowly opened the box to find a diamond heart pendant on a gold chain and matching stud earrings. She gasped.

“But how can we afford this?” she asked no longer caring about his trick.

“Do you remember the audition I talked about?” Jean nodded her head, eyes never leaving the jewelry. “Well, it was a week ago, and I got the job.”

“Really? That’s amazing!” she glances at the box marked “Dill” and sadness rushes over her.

When Charles notices, he asks, “Do you not like it?”

“What? No! I love it. Its just,” she hesitates, “I didn’t get you anything really special.”

“I know I will like it.” Jean then hands him the white box. He pulls on the ribbon until it gives way. Slowly, he lifts the lid to find a script of the 1930’s ‘Dracula’.

“Do you like it?” Jean quietly asks.

Charles wraps Jean in his arms and says, “I love it, Scout.”