Chapter Two

She was sitting on the porch, winds passing through her hair.

I sat beside her and my heart instantly saddened knowing that she was crying. Again.

"I tried, you know. But I was just—" She bursted into tears and her head fell on my shoulder while she cried.

I tapped her back. She talked her heart out telling a story of her another failed relationship. She cried until she can.

"It was always like this, June." She spoke. "They'd always tell me they love me but in the end, the relationship we are on... sinked. We were once a balanced boat. But he hopped off not even saying good bye. So I drowned. Is that what they call love? Well, I must say, that's fraud and pure bullshit."

I sighed. I hate it whenever she cries for guys who doesn't realize her worth.

"Shh. I'm here. I'll always be." I softly whispered, drying her tears with my hankerchief.

We stayed like that for minutes when, out of the blue,  she suddenly said a statement.

"You'll leave me."

I felt my forehead crease out of curiosity. I almost felt like laughing but refrained to.

"What? Of course, not. Why would I?"

"Because you love me." She answered, finally facing me.

My breathing paused.

I looked back at her and avoided to get lost in her eyes. She knows?

"I know, I can feel it... since we were kids. I'm actually glad because you're always on the rescue for me. Kahit nung first prom mo diba? Your date was Sarah Aquino... yung maganda."

Oo. I was actually supposed to be your partner but... you wished someone over me.

"Pero iniwanan mo siya at pinuntahan mo ako sa ospital diba?" She laughed and I felt shy.

Pano niya nalaman iyon?  

"Mom told me, June. Uy! Wag ka namang mahiya. Tumingin ka sa'kin." She held my face and tilted it toward hers.

She's so beautiful even though her face is tear-strained. Her eyes... it was where I could see her through. Her eyes simply tells a story about her life. 

I was at awe that my heart almost leaped out of my chest. I was afraid she could hear the familiar rhythm it was making.

Should I tell her?

No, not now, June. She still have to pick up the pieces of her heart.

Pwede mo naman siyang samahan magpulot. A voice inside my head suggested.

I could almost agree to it but I thought about her. Her feelings and her reaction.

What if she push me away saying No, June. We're best friends. or No, June. I love someone else.

And I can't possibly let that happen. Just the thought of it even made me sad.

I'd rather be beside her as her best friend. Secretly and slowly, picking up the pieces of her heart with caution. 'Cause it's fragile.

Or should I just take the risk before anyone tries to steal the pieces?

Before she fall for anyone.

Before it's too late.

I should tell her.

"Carrie," I called her name and she responded with a hmm.  "I know this is... uhm... uh. I— uhh."

Shit. Why can't I say it?

"I... uh... uhm..."

"Ano 'yun?" She asked, facing me again.

"I'll always be here."  I said and almost hit my head against the wall. 

Damn it, June! Why can't you just say it?

She laughed at me and hugged me tight and I did too.

For her it was friendly but for me, it wasn't. I poured all my emotions with it.

It always wasn't just a hug for me. It held her like she's my soul that I won't ever let go of.

"Pero sana tuparin mo."  She muffled, still burried on my shoulders.

"Of course, I will."

She raised her pinky and winked at me.

Damn. Don't wink at me. Or else...

"Forever best friends?" She said with a tone that was almost asking.

I ruffled her hair up and ran, laughing. She hates it when I do that.

"June July August! I hate you so much!" She yelled, running after me. "But I love you!" 

"What?" I yelled back, laughing.

"I love you, my deaf, ugly best friend!" She yelled and I was surprised she clung herself to me.

"Your actions speak so loud I can't even hear a word you say." I said and gave her a piggyback ride.

"Shut up. Where did you get that quotation? Parang narinig ko na yan sa kung saan. I just can't remember where it came from."

"I love you." I sincerely told her. "That came from me."