1 - Kids in the Dark

JACK

I keep refreshing my feed hoping something new will happen on my profile.

Nothing.

That's not exactly new to me, considering I have absolutely no real friends. Key word: REAL. I have several internet friends. They help me cope and give me someone to talk to since I'm really quite lonely. Although like any friends, they can be very annoying but I love them all the same. We group message and group chat, it gets insane sometimes but its fun to me. Suddenly, I hear a ding from my phone. I pick it up and look at it, expecting it to be a message on kik.

It's not.

It's a boy who's decided to follow me on twitter. I see his profile picture is a great photo of Mark Hoppus, which instantly intrigues me. He comments something along the lines of I'm funny on one of my favourites tweets of mine. I smile and go to the twitter of this mystery boy. He has some great pretty dirty minded tweets himself. He seems to be quite funny as well so I give him a quick follow back. I see his name is Alex. Alex Gaskarth. What a beautiful name. It seems to suit the tweets I'm reading.

I decide I want to get to know this boy, then put a face to the name. I send him a small instant message.

JackBarakat: hey i saw your tweets and they're pretty great as well! you seem rad, kid!

AlexGaskarth: Thanks man, you seem cool too! I'd love to get to know you! You got a Kik?

His superior spelling and grammar immediately overwhelms me and puts me into full on anxiety mode. What if he has a thing for grammar, spelling and punctuation? I really like this kid. More than I should for not knowing who he is. Something about him just attracts me. God, I've gotta keep this kid around...

ALEX

I log into twitter as soon as I get home from school, and mum leaves me alone at the house to get groceries.

I see in my 'Recommended to Follow' list there's a guy with the username JackBarakat. He seems rad by his profile picture (which is of Billie Joe Armstrong by the way). So me, being the brave and strong Alex I am, I decide to make a move.

A small move.

But a move all the same.

You see, I'm gay. Very gay and it seems that when you're this gay its hard to find someone who intrigues you as much as Jack does to me.

Even though I don't exactly know him. He just seems cool. I like that about him already.

Oh right, about my move making. I actually follow him AND comment on one of his many hilarious tweets. I feel good about this. Even if it is through a screen. He could reject me. Oh God, what if he rejects me? I mean, I'm not exactly perfect. I don't have a perfect life and happily married parents. I'm not exactly happy...

What if he only likes happy people?