School Days (JongHyun) Chapter 10

Her grades were slipping. It must have been a repercussion from thinking about everything but her school work. Like how much post sex pain got annoying after your first time. Or how JongHyun was probably lying to her about all his sexual experiences and she would never know for sure.

            Silly things like these – those were what she shouldn’t have been thinking of but spent so much time pondering.

            “Kaitie… What’re you thinking about?” Onew asked, kissing her shoulder.

            They hadn’t slept together again since that first time. Kaitie just had never been in the right mood, not after what she’d found out. And with the riff hanging between her and her best friend.

            “Kaitieeee…” Onew’s whining brought the girl back to reality. She’d gotten caught up in her thoughts again and had completely forgotten that he’d even asked her a question. Silly her… She really needed to start paying her boyfriend more attention… Or speaking to him about what was bugging her at least so she could find some solace.

            “Sorry Jinki… I’m sleepy…” She turned on her side and buried herself in his chest as if to prove a point. He was without a shirt, the air outside chilly but the heat in his dorm building was out of whack and often screwed up to the point where they often had people walking around in bathing suits.

            Onew sighed and stroked her hair, fingers moving down to fondle her shoulder. He was so patient…

            “Kaitie, why don’t you talk to me any more?” he asked, seeming almost hesitant in posing his question.

            Slap to the face much? Kaitie thought, propping herself onto an elbow so she could scrutinize the man beside her properly. Surprise was fluctuating off her in waves, a bit of annoyance as well, maybe anger? Something was brewing in her and Onew sure as hell caught a whiff of it as he seemed to shrink back from the glare she was giving him.

            “I talk to you,” she objected, nearly scoffing at his accusation. “I’m talking to you right now, we talked on the phone yesterday, when do we not talk?”

            Sighing again, the boy pulled away, choosing the wall as his support system so he could face Kaitie head on. It was scary to see him so serious. With his hands folded neatly in his lap and his eyes sorrowful, Kaitie almost felt like she as facing the “good cop” while being interrogated about a murder. The murder of her communication with the best boyfriend in the world that she abused so horribly and refused to see.

            “You know what I mean, we don’t talk seriously. I mean, you’ve been troubled these days and every time I try to pry you just find something else to talk about,” Onew explained, head hanging.

            Kaitie sat up too, tugging on her shorts so her underwear wouldn’t flash. The strap on her tank top fell but her attention was centered too much on the bad news that was sure to come that she didn’t bother to fix it. “That’s not true,” she murmured, shaking her head.

            And it came again, that sigh that told Kaitie he was close to giving up, without hope. His subtly muscled arm reached out to pull her strap back into place while the other dragged a pillow to her so she could cover her thighs. His eyes cast over her once before he shook his head and pushed the hair out of his face.

            “It is Kaitie, and don’t try to say otherwise. Either you tell me what’s been bugging you or we… We have to take a break. Maybe that’s what you need to clear your head and get focused again,” he said.