Chapter 1

"Hey, I'm going out. See you in a bit" my roommate says before walking out the door. I grumble in response, because she had to wake me up to say that! She goes out every morning, I will only be worried when she doesn't go out.

Now that I've woken up, I can't get back to sleep. This always happens. I stumble over to the bathroom and take a hot shower. The warm water on my skin gives me goosebumps, but it's worth it. I wash my hair and body, then hop out, ready for the day to begin. I consider going for a jog, but don't because my runners are soaking wet from yesterday.

It was raining all day, and I had to go somewhere. The only shoes that were in sight at the time, were them. And now today is a nice day, great.
***
I brush down my hair, and watch it curl up again. My hair just won't tame. Don't ask why, ask my mother. I got my blonde hair and green eyes from her. But I have my dads personality. I throw on a t-shirt and legging, and grab my boots. I look reasonable, so I decide to go for a walk to the nearest cafe.

I order a hot chocolate, -because I've never been the biggest fan of tea or coffee- then go take a seat and wait for it to be made. The person behind me won't stop coughing..I look over my shoulder and they look very pale.

I drink my hot chocolate, but get up to leave, because I honestly can't afford to get sick. My best friend shows up, -just as I'm about to leave- and I decide to stay a little longer to talk to her.

"What's up?" I ask curiously, as I notice the worried look on her face. She snaps out of her little daze and looks at me. "Well-" she begins. I raise my eyebrow, she looks over my shoulder and gasps, I follow her gaze and step back a little. The person who was coughing...is..well, let's just say isn't really on the seat anymore, but it dragging itself along the floor, towards the table next to his. "Oh dear, what's wrong?" An elderly lady gasps and grabs a napkin. The man didn't take the napkin though, instead it grabbed her hand and pulled it onto the ground with it. She screamed as he bit into her shoulder, leaving her lifeless and moving onto the next person.

Now things were changing. People from behind the counter, have ran out the door, and all the customers just stand there frozen. I look over at Taylor and garb her arm, "we have to go" I snap my fingers in-front of her face. She doesn't respond so I drag her towards the door as fast as I can. "COME ON PEOPLE" a woman yells.

Taylor starts running beside me as soon as she realises what's going on. I can't believe that man bit her! What's wrong with him?

"EVERYONE, GET TO-" someone was cut off, but screamed when somebody else bit them. "Pick up the pace" I say to Taylor, she follows my lead and runs ahead of me. I catch up to her and we head down the street towards my shared house. "Stick together?" She asks. I nod my head and turn into the driveway. We run to my bedroom, and find my roommate rummaging through her drawers. "Pack your stuff. We have to get out of here" I say, and grab my bag. "But-" "just do it!" Taylor says, but nods apologetically afterwards. Bailey then grabs her bag and throws random items inside, including her iPod. I throw in some clothes and shoes. As well as some jackets. I notice Taylor grabbing stuff out of our bathroom and stuff them into a little bag that's easy to carry around. She also takes a couple knives with covers on them. I eye her, she looks at me and shrugs. "You never know what could happen" she smiles.
***
Bailey, Taylor and I decide to stick together, and head down to Taylor's house. The place she lives in hasn't been touched, and she is kind of a neat freak so it's a little too clean. I do what she did in my house, and grab a smaller bag and put medicine, toiletries, and a spare change of clothes. I grab some of her clothes and put them in my bag, just in case. I grab 3 knives, then head out to where Bailey is. She is rummaging through some things looking for more supplies I'm guessing.

"Let's go" Taylor raises her voice to get our attention. We jump into her car, and speed down the street.

"Hey Kyle." I call my brother, "Hey sunshine" he muses. "Not the time, something is happening, people are biting each other, and then they are dying! Dying Kyle dying!" I yell into the phone. "Calm down, I'll pack my stuff. Do you have weapons?" He asks, "why would we need weapons?!" I whisper, half yelling. "Just in case" he says, just like Taylor.

"Where are we going to meet?" He asks. I think about it for a bit. "Just out of town, you know near that little house mum and dad rented, the one we go camping at. Oh and could you give mum and dad a call?" I say. "Yes, see you there little sis" he ends the call. I put down my phone, and nod at Bailey who is driving. She has been to the house, so she knows where to drive too. She passes me her phone and I know what to do. I call her sister, and say that exact same thing. She is bringing an axe, why is everyone bringing weapons? Although an axe might be a good idea for some fire wood.
***
We arrive an hour later, and drive up our long drive way. There is already another car in our spot, so I decide to get out and inspect the place. I tell the others to stay here, and look out for our family's.

I open the door that was already unlocked. A little girl peeks over the couch with a scared expression. "Hey" I say, she ducks behind the couch. "I won't do anything don't worry. I just need to know where are your parents?" I ask in the nicest voice possible. She walks out from behind the couch and points towards the kitchen. I nod and walk past her, smiling to let her know I won't hurt her. I knock on the door and a woman calls out to me. "Yes sweetie? You can come in" she laughs. "But, I would rather you come out here" I say as nicely as possible.

I hear the woman walk quickly towards the door and open it. "What are you doing here?" She asks. "This is my house that my parents are renting. We have it here because we like to go camping a lot. What are you doing here?" I question. She looks shocked for a second, "Well..there was a break out in our town 2 hours away from here, w-we just came here because we didn't want to get bitten" she stutters.

"That's the same with us- my friends and I" I smile. She looks relieved, like she has only just figured out I'm not doing anything bad. "Well, is it only you two?" I ask, gesturing towards the little girl. She smiles warmly but shakes her head. "I have another daughter, she's upstairs using the bathroom, I hope you don't mind"

"My brother and parents, as well as my friends family's, are going to be staying here as well. You two don't mind sharing a room down here? If not, that's ok, there is also a little play area upstairs. We used to come here a lot as kids." I say. The little girl smiles for the first time that I've been here, and quickly jumps up and down. "Please mummy?" She pleads. Her mum looks at me "I'm so grateful you are not kicking us out, thank you so much! That would be great! Oh and are there two bedrooms down here? My other daughter Ruby isn't very social" she laughs, but blushes with embarrassment. "Yes! I will make her share a room with either me or one of my friends! No matter how hard it's going to be, she will become one of us!" I salute and laugh afterwards. The little girl laughs as well.

"Oh, and you can go get your friends if you like..they are kind of-" she looks out the window, "kind of bored I think?" She bites her lip.

I feel my face go red, I forgot about them!

--------
A/N
Oh My Gosh I'm actually quite happy with this first chapter! Aha love you all! Byeee !

-Daisy💕