Chp 23: Mastery of Manipulation

"We need to put as much distance as we can between us and the other competitors. You guys are gonna have to quicken the pace, we don't want to be one of the last teams without a scroll."

"Chill out, Kira! We have five days, that's plenty of time!"

The girl refrained from gritting her teeth as the blond countered her comment casually. "No, it's really not enough time, Naruto. Every minute another team gets picked off, we need the advantage of being one of the first ones to the tower. Once we're there, we can just steal a scroll from whomever we come across first."

"I don't know," Sasuke sighed, unconvinced. "The stronger squads are obviously going to be the ones making it to the tower first. It will definitely be more difficult to defeat them."

Not really, since you have me... Kira itched to say. She merely hardened her gaze. "Look, I think we should go to the tower. The longer we stay inside of the forest, the harder it's going to be to survive and steal a scroll from another squad. But if you guys really feel as if you know what you're doing, go ahead. Stay here and starve. But when we don't have a scroll, don't come crying to me."

"What do you know?!" Naruto said snidely. "I bet we can easily steal-"

A sudden shrill sound echoed through the grove of trees, their mighty branches bobbing up and down in the lofty gusts. If one looked straight up, you could see the peeking blue of the sky.

Sakura started, eyes wide and worried. "That sounded like someone screaming."

Thank you, Captain Obvious. We're in the freaking Forest of Death, no shit it was a scream...

"I do not like this place."

"Oh, come on!" Naruto boasted. "It's nothing to be scared of, it's gonna be a piece of cake!"

"Piece of cake, my ass..." Kira mumbled under her breath. If only they would just listen to me!

"We need to get going," Sasuke announced, "we don't want whatever got them to come after us."

"Wait!" Naruto shrieked, trying to unbuckle his pants. "I gotta take a leak! It'll just be a second!"

Kira's eyes bulged, but Sakura had the liberty to hit the blond over the head. "Yeah right! Not in front of us girls, ya don't! Go find a bush or something!"

The red haired girl watched pensively as the boy made his way over to a patch of shrubs. Just watch him get fucking stabbed in the back while he's taking a piss... she thought cynically. I would do it myself but I don't want to take the chance of accidentally seeing his junk. She shot him a nasty look as he hummed, happily making his way through the outcropping of trees. Her mouth twisted.           

Maybe Sasuke should go with him...

But Kira didn't say anything, she stared silently as Naruto retreated back deeper into the forest to carry out his duty. Once he was out of sight and things were silent without the blabbermouth blond around for once, Kira touched the tips of her fingers to the ground and closed her eyes.

Her mind went immediately blank.

"I've seen you do that before. Is it a jutsu?"

She cracked a lid and looked at Sasuke's curious face. "No," she shook her head. "It's not a jutsu."

"Then what is it?" Sakura pestered ambiguously, now equally as inquisitive. The red head didn't care too much for elaboration, so if Sakura wanted answers, she would have to force them out. Sometimes, it was as if Kira swallowed the key to the lock on her mouth.