Chapter Two: Breaking Even

"We don't need your pity," the village leader spits as he throws the bag of supplies into the dirt.

Natalia bites back a flicker of irritation. "Mayor, please, if you'd just listen...."

The man scowls. "Why? So you can just feed us more excuses? Where were you when we starved for days on end so our children could eat? Or when falling ill meant certain death?"

Natalia remains silent, knowing full well he has every right to be angry.

Beside her Luke frowns. "We were fighting a madman to make sure you'd be able to stand here and complain today."

To his credit, the Mayor does look somewhat apologetic. "Yes, I have heard the stories. But that has nothing to do with explaining why we went without any aid for two years after the end of the war."

"Of course not," Natalia concedes. "There is no excuse for what happened. The only thing I am capable of is offering you aid now."

"As I said before, Princess Natalia, we are doing just fine on our own. These past two years have made us self-reliant."

"Even so, I cannot simply abandon you and your people."

The mayor sighs and turns away.

"With all due respect, Princess, your kingdom already has."

-----------------

That evening she and Luke set up camp near the outskirts of the village. Treit isn't even so much a village as a small congregation of buildings that seemed to huddle together seeking refuge from the darkness. Given the mayor's response to their offer of help, Luke and Natalia decided to keep some distance from the village. From around their small fire they can just barely discern the shadowy outlines of the buildings. Across from her, Luke is frowning at his food.

"You don't have to glare at it like that," she huffs indignantly. "My cooking's gotten a lot better recently."

"It's not that."

"Then what?"

"I was just thinking, why is it that whenever someone says 'with all due respect' they really mean the exact opposite?"

She laughs, drawing a stare. "You looked so serious I was thinking it was something terrible."

"You don't consider what happened today terrible?"

She shakes her head. "At least we're talking. That's what matters."

"I get the feeling we could talk to them until we're blue in the face and still wouldn't gain any ground."

"That's the way negotiation works sometimes," she says setting her food aside. The serious turn of conversation had snuffed out the last of her appetite. Not that the food was all that appetising anyway. "You know, Anise may have been a bit of a brat, but I miss her cooking sometimes."

Luke looks down at his food again. "Yeah. I know what you mean."

Natalia sees an opportunity to tease her cousin a little. "Luke," she began sweetly, "are you insulting my cooking? Because I assure you, I can make the next meal much, MUCH worse."

Luke pales. "Hey! You started it."

"Doesn't mean you should agree with me."

"And if I'd said your food was just fine?"

"I would have known you were lying."

"So no matter what I said I would have been wrong, huh?"