In safe hands

((Ayato's P.O.V.))

          Today felt... weird. It's like there's something missing here.... hmmm.... I walked down the paths of a few alleys I found early in the morning, not quite remembering seeing them before, so I decided to explore and investigate a bit. I relished in the shadows I kept to, putting a palm up against the cool stone wall of the semi-concealed back-street.  

Little did I know this was where the dread was waiting for me. The grief. 

         I turn a corner; that's when the whimpering starts. It's faint, but I can still hear it. They contain long intervals between them, and sometimes the anonymous voice's pitiful sounds have cracks in them. Except, I notice that they must be some from area around here.... I decided to investigate.

        After a few minutes (which seemed more like hours) the whimpering stops, but I think I have a general direction of where it was coming from. I started to slightly worry... whatever it was, it must've been going through a fair amount of pain. Wait wha- tch. As if I care. Unless it's Hinami.... 

        Oh.

        What if it's Hinami. 

        I shake off the anxiety that briefly paralyzed my brain. I've been kind of... tch... having affectionate feelings for her lately.... Though I wouldn't want to ruin our friendship, we've been getting along so nicely, and it would suck if she didn't reciprocate the feelings.... Love is unneeded anyway.  

       The thing, whatever it is, now sounded as if it was hyperventilating, and the breaths sounded way too shallow for its own good.  A few more streets and I'll probably see the problem, I think. Oh, how I was excruciatingly accurate. Several more streets down (this network of alleys seemed endless) and... no. No. No no no no no no. That's not... But it is..... Hinami? I hadn't realized I had said those words aloud, but apparently I got an answer from the limp figure propped up against the wall. "A-ah.... Ayato?" Came the croaky reply. Confirming my fear that it actually was her. In that moment reality shatters into infinitesimal pieces. 

        Her brown tresses were messy, Eyes dull and clouded from pain, and red splotches blooming from her clothes.. "Ah-ahaha, sorry for the messy appearance, aya-kun."

        "Oh. Oh, no, i-it's fine... Hinami."

         She takes a shaky breath, eyes now glistening with tears. "Uh... I don't know if you could tell, but uh, t-they got me." She tries to smile, but it turns into a grimace. 

         "I see." My voice was blank and unfeeling. everything felt... numb. Surreal. It could be a dream. Maybe I'll wake up soon.

         "And, uh, I just, wanted to say-" Her voice cracked- "That this was... cool. Doing everything. With you. And also, I'm assuring you, I have no regrets, really. I was in safe hands with you." I knew her energy was draining even more by her talking, and She was going to-- go sooner, but trying to shush her didn't work. 

        "No, aya-kun, I'm fine. It's alright. I was going to pass inevitably." A tear rolls down her cheek, almost in slow motion. This can't be happening. 

        "Hinami." 

        "Yes?"

        "I don't have any regrets either. I enjoyed your company. I just...." I come right next to her, gently brushing my lips against her forehead. "I love you." 

        A gentle chuckle escapes her lips, "You dummy. I love you too." 

        "Tell... tell your parents I said hi."

        "I will." 

        "Good." 

       "I... I think I'll rest a bit here. It's nothing much, I'll recover. See you 'round, Ayato." 

        "Okay Hinami. Get your sleep. I'll wait for you. Always." 

        "I would do the same for you... Ah, if only. Well, goodnight."

        "Goodnight." 

        Her eyes closed, her last breath emanating weakly. 

        "Now it's raining." I whisper, a teardrop falling onto Hinami's cheek. I don't think I knew whose it was anymore.

        She's gone now. The thing that was missing was gone forever.