Iced Hearts

As I walk down the snowy sidewalk, I see kids having a snowball fight in the park. I smile and go through the park entrance. The kids all stop to say hi since I've babysat them all at least 50 billion times each. Then I get hit with a snowball in the back of my head. "Oh. Its on now!" I make snowballs double time and begin pelting the little chaps.

We all stop by the time it gets dark. "Kay guys and guyettes. Time to head home." The kids all say their goodbyes and break off in groups on their ways home. I start down the sidewalk again to see one child jogging after me. "Um...excuse me." I kneel down to the little girl's level. "Hey. What's the matter?" Her tear-stained cheeks are a dead giveaway.

"I-I can't find my older brother." She wipes her eyes and my heart shatters to one million pieces. "We'll find him. How old is he?" "He's sixteen. And works at the pizza pwace but I don't know where that is so..." She sniffs and her lip starts trembling. "Aww. Come on." She takes my hand and we walk a few blocks to the pizza place downtown.

"Do you know what his name is?" "Bwandon. Bwandon Cawter." Oh God. Brandon was only one of my school bullies. "Ok," I say with a smile. "Come on." I open the door and the little girl comes padding in after me. "Uh...excuse me. Can I see Brandon please?" The cashier goes to the back and he comes back with Brandon.

"Oh look. Little Miss Loser walked in." I'm taken by surprise. He obviously doesn't see his little sis under the counter. "Well,Airhead. Your little sister came up to me in tears because she couldn't find you."

His eyes widen. "Is Amelia OK?" Guess he does have a heart. "Yeah. She's right here." I pick up the lightweight 3 year old and sit her on the counter. Brandon immediately wraps her in his arms. "Thanks." "No prob." I turn then Brandon calls my name. "Hey,Sophie." I turn my head. "Yeah?" "I meant it. Thanks. You know I only do you at school like that is because of Savannah?"

"Like Head Cheerleader Savannah?" "Yea. She says that I can't talk to you and if I do,it's gotta be something mean." Whoa. That's some deep chiz. "Its cool." He flashes a smile and I return it. "Well,bye. Bye,Amelia." She waves and I walk out the door and back outside.

Now back home...the place where the bullies really are.