Forever Peter

Forever Peter

"For my friend"

Hey. So, it's been a long time since I've written. I've never tried to post a one-shot before and this just came over my head. I know it's a bit shabby but, I hope you like it.

________________

Dearest Peter...how are you? Can you still remember me? It's Cianna. The girl you used to play with from next-door? How are you?

I breathe and blink as I think of the question. I tap the mouse of my computer thinking of what to say next.

Me? I think I'm fine.

I erase that part. I'm sure he wouldn't care.

From what I've heard you've been admitted to Louisiana's Prep School. Congratulations! I knew you could do it. I still remember when we were kids. You'd always say you'll study abroad and come back the best doctor ever. I hope you'll accomplish that.

My fingers tremble on the keys.

I miss you.

I close my eyes and imagine him in my presence. I miss that warm smile of his. That wind-swept auburn hair; His boyish grin and lame jokes. I miss that skinny, scrawny, annoying guy. Peter Charles Johnson.

The monitor beeps rapidly it made me open my eyes. The nurse comes over to me with her notepad. I smile at her.

"Having a good day, Cianna?" she asks as she takes down notes.

"Uh, yeah. Better than yesterday." I smile weakly at her. She looks at me with sympathy.

"It's not your fault, Ci. Every kid like you would want to have fun on the sunlight once in a while." She says and pats me on my shoulders.

"Just remember not to take off your breathing support." She says and leaves. I breathe long and slow.

I'm diagnosed with leukemia and just recently, with heart complications. Every now and then I have to go to the hospital. Yesterday was the stupidest thing I've done so far. I missed the freedom of breathing properly. I got overexcited and went out on the lake leaving my breathing support. If it weren't for that nurse, I wouldn't be able to last another day.

I look at my computer lying on my lap. The "I miss you" was still there. It was right. I miss him. I do. But I don't know if he still remembers me.

We were eight the last time I saw him. That time, it was only the early days that we knew I had leukemia. People around me treated me as if I was a dying piece. Nothing near normal.

I disliked it when they treated me as a special case. Everyone around me-My parents, my brother, my piano tutor, my cousins, basically everyone. Peter was different.

He made me feel normal.

We met the first time when I was sitting on the swing outside my house. All my past playmates wouldn't play with me. I was crying then. Out of nowhere, this red ball comes out of nowhere rolling towards me. It had a note scribbled in it; a scrawny, wiggly, handwriting saying "Want to play".

He was from the house in front of me. He was standing there with a very wide smile. Since then, I felt normal again. We'd play ball games, play house, watch movies together, play on the mud puddle at times we get caught up in the rain and draw on each other's faces. We even adopted a puppy we haven't named.

We had fun every day. Until one day, I passed out and was put up on the hospital for days. He'd visit me every afternoon carrying hand-picked flowers from Aunt Rose's flowers he'd took without asking. I could still remember him telling me stuff about the cartoons we love watching. He'd tell me mayor got mad when he ran out of pickles on Power Puff Girls, about the musketeer Tom and Jerry, about him stopping himself from watching wall-e because he promised to watch it with me.