Chapter 2 Daydreams

The trip to the zoo seemed to take forever as my heart raced with excitement.

When I was little I stayed in walking distance from the zoo, whenever I was upset my dad would grab my hand and squeeze it and say in a voice that seemed to almost roar at the time "I think I hear the animals say that they miss you Vikki, lets go say hello."
After my dad died the zoo became my place of solitude, the place where nothing bad could happen.

James's car was the biggest car out of all of ours I was in the front seat next to him while he was driving. I started staring at his arms they were well built and I could see all the ups and downs almost like waves that the muscles formed, I got carried away lost in thought and only realised that I'd missed a question when Ash put her pale feminine hand on my shoulder. She never did tan, only burnt. I jerked back to reality.
"What?" I said feeling light as my head was still inbetween reality and my mind.
"Are you okay Vik?" Ashes crisp voice had a tinge of consurn.
"Lost in thought" I laughed "It's nearly been a year." I added
The car fell silent. A year, three weeks and two days. Feels like it only happend yesterday.
"Well I'm excited for today." Helen tried to lighten the mood. It didn't work.

My first birthday without dad. A year since he lost his battle with life.
Slowly I smiled and placed my hand on Ashes hand. That was the sign that it was okay to talk again.
Everyone started talking at the same time trying to get rid of the depressing atmosphere.

Suddenly the we were parked and walking towards the gates entrance of the zoo. Once we were inside I felt myself relax automatically and my body started to feel lighter. I slipped my fingers into James hands without thinking about doing it. As we passed the enclosures one by one memories flooded my head. STOP! STOP! Stop thinking about him or your going to ruin the whole day. A flash of memory made me dumb and the sight of me on my dads shoulders appeared that was an amazing day it was so warm and happy .
I was ripped from the memory when a strange feeling started forming inside me, it felt warm but made my skin crawl at the same time, it made me feel so odd but made everything feel right all at the same time. The feeling only lasted for a brief moment but it was enough for James to smile and say "You look much happier"

I hadn't even noticed that the blanket and food was already set up. But that feeling, what was that feeling.
I sat down and looked at the birthday cake Ash made for me, it looked delicious. Chocolate I guess.
"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING!" Ash said alarmed, " I do not care if it is your birthday or not, you can not have cake first, eat some sandwichs."
" Yes mom." I grinned

The day went smoothly the rest of the time, until we were just about to leave.
As I started saying good-bye to the bunnies near the exit individually as I had named them all, I felt the odd sensation again:
But this time much stronger.
"Good-bye, Muffi...."

Darkness