Chapter One: One Girl's Actions Started It All

Chapter 1: One Girl's Actions Started It All

" Let me out!" April Chapman begged in a deafening scream. " Please!"

April's father only replied by starting the car. Sobbing quietly, her mother rubbed the spot on her neck that was imprinted with a handprint and stared out the car window.

" Help!" April pounded on the window and jiggled the car doors in an effort to run away, but it did nothing but tire her. She buried her head in her arms and shrieked. Her screams evolved into cries and hot tears ran down her cheeks and splashed on her black sweatshirt.

Her parents did not say a single word, not caring what April had to say.

In another attempt to change her parents' minds, she went for the usual: "I'm really sorry."

There was another few seconds of silence, but her dad broke it. " I... just can't believe you would do that."

" I know, but I didn't mean to!" pleaded April, running her trembling fingers through her shiny blonde hair.

Mr. Chapman glanced at his wife, seeing if she would voice her opinion. She shook her head furiously in reply.

" We just think this will be right for you." Mr. Chapman grumbled.

Disappointment and regret struck April. Forget it. It was hopeless. She would be stuck at a mental hospital for at least a year, and there was nothing she could do to change that.

The car turned left on an old, windy road and April, through blurred vision, gazed out at the cloudy, grey sky that threatened rain. As the car wobbled down the hilly concrete, all buildings disappeared from sight, transforming into dead grass and rocks. Thoughts flooded April's mind. What is it like there? Will I be stuck in a cell sleeping on the floor? Who will I meet?

April had no clue of what misery was to come. Was she predestined to a year of abuse and isolation? I'll tell you one thing: She was nowhere near prepared for what events would occur in the next twelve months.

Mr. Chapman swerved the car violently down another secluded, shadowed road. Thunder from miles away blared in the background. And after about five minutes of continuous, rather annoying silence, the car parked abruptly parked in front of a massive building.

The colossal stone building was grey and eerie. Instead of a white, somewhat appealing normal hospital that April had imagined, it turned out almost like prison. It appeared as if it came straight out of a horror movie: dark, gloomy, and terrifying.

April took one quick look at the mental hospital and all of the color drained from her face. Her skin, as pale as a sheet, suddenly felt cold. She froze, her heartbeat slowing and her surroundings blurring. Dizziness took over her and she was unable to move.

" April! Out of the car now!" Her father's serious bark jolted her awake and reality gave her a big slap across the face.

What am I doing? I can't just sit here and let them lock me up...

April harshly slapped her father's hand reaching for her and jumped to the front of the car, landing face to face with the steering wheel.

Drive, an irresistible voice in her head commanded. Drive away.

But April knew already her escape plan was foiled. She glanced out the car window and saw the car keys dangling in her furious father's trembling hand. Crap.

Mr. Chapman ripped open the front door to the car like a madman and roughly tore April from the seat. He wrenched his fingers around April's arm and dragged her to the front doors.

" Dad, no!"

" April, shut up."

" I hate you." April screamed bitterly, the wind whipping her words away.

A tiny wave of guilt and sorrow flew through Mr. Chapman, but he just continued to push open the doors. Mrs. Chapman followed slowly, her hand still at her neck.

The next fifteen minutes were a blur of disappointment. April was marched to the main desk where an old grouchy woman as wrinkly as a raisin checked her into a room. Another woman next to her seemed familiar, her face had reminded April of someone she knew. But April, too focused on how to plot her escape, paid no attention to the woman.

" Room 321." The woman barked, interrupting April's reverie and grabbing her arm tighter than her father.

April watched her parents turn away and amble out the door. By looking at their faces, you could see the melancholy clearly. They had just given up their 15-year-old daughter for at least a year, maybe even more. But it was for the best. After all, no more April meant no more murder attempts.

Right?