Chapter 5

Gabriella's P.O.V

'What just happened?' I think as the wind whips around me sending chilly air my way.

I came out here to avenge my mother's death and finally prove to my father that I am worthy enough to be a hunter. A woman warrior. But I come out with an alliance between a possibly near death giant and myself.

What if he goes against me? He caught me in a weak spot and I agreed out of sympathy.

I don't enjoy killing the Giants, but with all of the damage that they've caused to my family, I feel as if I have no choice.

'What does he expect from me? What does everyone expect from me?' My hand snakes its way through my hair as I try to style it back in place.

The light in my bedroom is on and I sigh as I look up at it.

Climbing back up to my window, I'm met with my father.

He is sitting on my bed arms crossed, a scowl settled on his face.

"Dad," I take a step closer to my bed stopping when his voice grumbles through the room.

"Now let me make this clear. You don't, nor will you ever again, sneak out of this house. What were you thinking, Gabriella?"

I close my eyes rethinking everything that happened in the woods just now.

"I was-" I try explaining myself.

"You weren't thinking, you're exactly right." My father's commitment to make me feel less than dirt gets stronger everyday.

"You just get an- an idea in that stupid little head of yours," He points his forefinger to the middle of his forehead, jabbing at it as every word spews out of his mouth. "And you react to it without thinking the situation through."

"All I did tonight is what you guys expect of me to do." I grumble throwing the weaponry onto my bed, not being able to open the secret compartment.

"I don't expect you to go out like that at night alone and you know that!" He slams his fist in my bed before grabbing my gadget behind him.

"This," He points to the bow and arrow, "is exactly why I didn't give it to you on time, I told your mother that this would be a mistake."

Heat rushes through my body, my eyesight flashes white and I lunge for the only thing my mother left to me.

"Give me it!" I grab onto it but he yanks it back from me.

"Mom used to do the exact same things!" I scream.

"She used to sneak out?" He speaks sarcastically.

"She used to get sudden ideas and go along with them!"

"And we all know where that led her." He spits out and I swallow down the lump in my throat.

"Get out," My voice cracks as I look away from my father.

He stays put looking down at me as his angry façade crumbles slowly.

"Get out!" I stomp pointing to the door and watch as he turns around to leave.

"Don't forget that I love you, Gab," He speaks tenderly.

He moves to leave again before I stop him.

"The weapon. Leave it." He bends down to set the weaponry to the ground then leaves shutting the door behind him.

"What do I do?" I whisper out falling to my knees, wishing my mother was her to answer me.