Key Frames

Quiet. Everything was Quiet. The bird's joyful songs went unheard. All her dreams were dead and forgotten. The only face visable was her families. Kaelyn Ferrer's hair flew in her face, but she didn't notice, she just kept wondering what caused this tradgedy. The wind nipped at her fingers as she started to cry. Her light purple coat was all that was left after the fire.

Everything but the burnt house was blurry through her eyes. Gone, forever gone. The street was now occupied by silence. She blocked out words of comfort by people who didn't understand. Some told her she would move on. Others didn't speak, they just starred. She couldn't decide which she hated more.

Last night they celebrated Benjy's 11th birthday. She remembered laughing as her dad shoved the boy's freckled face into the cake. The Benjy didn't care, instead he smiled, claiming it was all his now. Kaelyn's mom walked in with a knife to cut the cake. " What did you do now Thomas." She asked with a smile, amused by Benjy who now called himself the cake monster.

"No cake shall pass unshared" Said the eleven-year-old boy.

"Right you are" Kaelyn said as she took some of his cake. The four sat down, unconcerned of anything. What if Kaelyn went to the living room and put the fireplace out. Then her family would be with her now.

They wanted her to leave, because she had been standing there all day and it was soon night. Only it felt like it just happened. She refused no matter what words left there mouths. Tierd she felt tierd. Maybe they were right she should go, but where? Home? It no longer existed on fourtenth street. It didn't exist at all. She wanted to lay in her bed, to feel the warm sheets over her. To sit at that table and eat cake like they did last night. To be there in that house that used to feel ineffectual was only part of what she longed for.

Gone, forever gone.