Chapter 3

Chapter Three

"I hate you, okay!?" Joseph screamed at his foster mom.

"You ungrat'ul brat! It's for the better good! Look a' how much money you're makin'! Enterin' math'ical contests! Ya just got me -err yaself- $1,000! I took ya in for now, and ya can't thank me by just doin' another contest? It'd only be yar fifth and they're so easy for ya! I'll ship you right back to that pathetic orphanage. Ya hear me! Don't you dare-" Ms. Corey roared in her Cockney accent, as she was a British immigrant.

"Shut up! Just shut it! You are the most miserable, selfish, lame excuse for a woman! You can't multiply 37495 by 489 in your head so leave me be you lazy ass!" he spat with utter contempt. "And by the way, in case you were wondering, that's 18,335,055!"

"Oh, you stuck up, unthankful little fiend! I'll throw ya to the streets! I will!" she shrieked, shaking with anger.

"Fine! I'll leave!!!" Joseph stormed off to his room, grabbed his few things (including his books and thin coat), and ran off outside. He pulled on his jacket because it was December.

"Come back! You don't know where you're goin' fool! Come back! I was lyin'! Come back or else the police'll gecha!" her voice echoed through the dark, cold night. "Police I tell ya!"

Joseph ignored her, and said, "Then I'll send them to you."