Sorry or Secretive?

What's better than waking up to a heart attack?

This is Gracie's first thought as she wakes up to her alarm. She rolls out of bed and grabs her glasses heading to the bathroom to take a needed shower. After getting out she texts Nathan "Good morning", and gets started on her hair. Looking in the mirror she wonders what Nathan even sees in her. She's short, even for a girl, at only 5'2 with long curly hair that gets tangled and in the way. Her figure is pretty alright; well everything is proportionate with tan skin. She gets good grades considering everything that's been going on. Somehow she maintains a steady relationship with Nathan, along with one with her friends even though she's generally pretty secretive and closed off.

By this time, she's all done getting ready and judging what she sees in the mirror. Heading into the kitchen she sees her father starting on breakfast so she sets the table; pouring the juice and placing two plates and sets of utensils. Sometimes in the morning she'll put an extra plate there, even though she knows her mother won't be there. Her mom hasn't been there for close to a decade, but some habits never change. It no longer makes her sad, in fact she's glad that her mom walked out when she did. It made Grace a better person overall.

Placing the food on the table she and her father begin to chat despite the look of exhaustion on both of their faces.

"How'd you sleep pumpkin," asked her father.

"Oh fine, how about you", she happily yet tiredly replied.

"I slept alright. Excited for school today?"

Rolling her eyes slightly to herself she replied,
"No, but I've got no other choice do I?"

"You most certainly don't", he replied around a mouthful of eggs.

Checking her watch, she finished her last bit of breakfast, "Well I'd love to stay and chat more but I must be gone."

Kissing her on the forehead her father replied, "I love you, have a good day at school."

Gracie grabbed her bag and keys then headed out to her cute VW Bug. It was a bit old, but it functioned and got her to school and other places. It was a pale shade of blue, and could probably use a new paint job however she just didn't have the money or care enough to get it done.

Once at school she parked and entered the school, quickly locating her friends, the seniors, and kept low as they chatted. Instead she pulled out her phone and continued to text Nathan. Seeing that he had already replied to her message with,

"Good Morning Princess. How'd you sleep?"

She replied a simple, "Fine I guess. And you?"

Quickly her phone chimed letting her know he had replied,

"I slept great. You were in my dream again. I really miss you Grace."

That's usually what he always said, since they no longer went to the same school. She missed him greatly, and tried to picture him being right there with her. He had a few inches on her standing 5'9 with blond, shaggy hair that she loved to play in. His eyes were the nicest shade of hazel, even though it pissed her off that he had such nice eyes and she was stuck with brown. For being so tall he was also kind of lanky with an extreme need for some sun. It made no sense at first why he wouldn't be returning, however when he explained it only made her more upset. It's not as if his grades were bad, not as good as Gracie's but still average however it was his dad that made the change.

All of this thinking of Nathan made her miss him even more, so of course she replied with, "I miss you too love. More than you even know most days."