Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I stood in my room in Miami waiting for my mother. She was my only family that I have left. I never met my father, Alexander, who I am named after but I heard so much about him. I sighed and walked over to my window. I didn't know what to think of the weather outside. It was sunny like usual, but much to humid.

My mother loved it here, but I didn't.  I hated the humidity. I loved the sun and the sandy, pristine beaches, but it was the humidity that ruined this state for me.

I walked out onto my balcony. I had a small garden there that I insisted that we keep. It had my mother's favorite flowers on it, Hibiscus', and my favorite flowers, roses. The smell filled my nostrils. They smelled so sweet together. I smiled and sighed again. 

But my smile faded when I looked out past the flowers. It was a man... Or at least the body of a man, but it did not look human. It had dark pocket where the eyes should be, pale skin, black inky veins, and razor sharp teeth. I screamed. I grabbed the shovel that was next to the potted plants, and ran into the house screaming for my mother.

My feet kept slipping on our hard-wooden floors. I rushed passed the living room to get to my mother's bedroom. I threw open the door and saw that there was another one of those things on top of her. Her emerald green eyes were glazed over and she was covered in blood.

I screamed again.

The thing dropped my mother's limp body, and stalked towards me. My mother's blood dripped off of it's chin and onto its shirt. I slowly backed away. I didn't know what to do. Sure I've gotten into fights at school, but that was different.

All of a sudden the thing changed. It looked like a normal human man, but I knew different. Its hair had a sheen it didn't before, there was now bright blue eyes and a normal complexion.

The shovel shook in my hands. As sudden as a light being switched, a freaky new sense kicked in.  My grip tightened on the handle of the shovel. The monster lunged for me but I was faster. The tip of the shovel pierced its stomach.  

It howled inhumanly with clear pain to its handsome face. I squeezed my eyes shut so I didn't see his face contort with pain. When I opened my eyes I saw that there was no body of the creature but there was a thin sheet of blue shimmering dust all over the place.

I was instantly confused. I didn't know what to think of that. But then again, I didn't have much time to think about it anyway.

The other creature grabbed my arm. I struggled but he was too strong for me. His features reminded me of the mythical god Adonis. He managed to get me to the ground. His teeth sank into the fleshy part where my shoulder met my neck. I let out a gut-wrenching scream. I managed to get the shovel between us.

"What are you?" He asked, his words slurred with my blood. I didn't answer. I shoved the shovel into his stomach and watched as he turned into the blue dust. I laid there in shock for a moment, before remembering my mom.

I sat up and attempted to dust myself off, but with the blood on me, it failed miserably. I stood up and instantly regretted that movement. I wobbled but managed to stay on my feet.

"Mom?" I asked hoping she would answer. Nothing. Tears swelled in my eyes. I walked over to her body. I shook her shoulder to see if she would do anything, but I knew it was already too late.

I heard someone knock on the door. "Hello, miss, are you OK in there?" It didn't sound familiar. "This is the police, are you OK?" 

I instantly ran to the door. I looked through the peephole I saw two people in the Miami police uniform. They were both male. One was older with hair that started to go gray. The other was younger and had dark hair. I unlocked the door, and threw it open. "Please help, my mom... " That's all they needed to hear once they saw the blood.

One rushed past me and straight to my mother. The other did a quick sweep of the living room. I hugged my elbows and hoped I didn't breakdown. My shoulder still burned with pain, but I could tell that it was going away. 

"Your neighbors heard you scream, and called us. Could you tell us what happened?" The older one asked. Should I tell them that a monster came in and killed my mom and another one bit me? 

"Um... " Then another young man came in. He had gray eyes and dark hair that was wild with a slight curl to it. He was rather handsome and walked with an unusual grace for a boy.

"I'll take it from here." He said. They other's looked confused.

"And who are you?" The young officer asked. The boy gave him a ghost of a smile. He walked over to both of them and whispered something to them. I only caught a few words and it sounded like it was in another language. Spanish maybe. Or Italian.

They nodded. "I am sorry miss, but we need to go, this young man will take your statement and you can be on your way." It sounded scripted. I didn't understand what was going on. 

After that was said, they both walked past me as if they were drugged up or something. "What's going on? Why are you leaving? Why are they leaving?" I asked the young man that spoke to the police.

"I will discuss that once they are in their car and gone." He said. This confused me even more.

"What do you mean?" He gave me that same ghost smile. I didn't like that at all. The more I looked at him the more I noticed. He looked like he was in the military, only his clothes were all black. He had a gun strapped to his him and what looked like a dagger in a sheath on his right boot.

"My name is Aiden St. Delphi. Can you please tell me what happened here, Alexandria Andros?" He asked. My jaw dropped when he said my name.

"How do you know my real name?" 

"That is not important. What is important is getting you to the Carolina Covenant." He said. "Please follow me."

"But what about my mom?" I asked. He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. It made his hair even wilder looking. I kind of liked it.

He looked at the front door. "Three, two, one." He opened the door and another boy walked in. His face looked like he was a living breathing statue. His golden complexion and amber eyes bore into mine. I saw tattoos all over his arms, face and neck. They swirled around as if they were magic.

"This is Seth. He is here to help you." I didn't like the way that he was looking at me. 

"She's been tagged." He said. His voice had an accent I was unfamiliar with, but it made his words sound almost musical. It was freaky.

"What does tagged mean? Is that what this bite is?" I asked. Aiden nodded. "Crap."

Aiden moved my hair an looked at my tag. "No need to worry, it will heal very soon. People like us heal at an unusual speed."

OK, I didn't know what that meant, but it was interesting. "Do you really think yo should tell her all of this at one time, it could hurt more than help," Seth said. Aiden's looked at him with re in his eyes.

"She has every right to know where she comes from. I will tell her what ever I think she needs to know." He said. 

Now I was really confused.

"Listen to me Alexandria, you are not what you think you are. You are a Half-blood."