Chapter 4 (A)

Bethesda, MD, U.S.A.

"Scheiße! 139 lbs!" Franziska exclaimed to her best friend, au pair Karolina Kowalska, on the phone. In reality, the scale displayed 144 lbs, but she was too ashamed to confess it.

"I need to slow down on the liquor. Otherwise, I'll never get rid of these kilos," she muttered sadly as she stepped off the scale and sat on the edge of the bathtub, her mind drifting through all the drinks she had had over the past few weeks during Connor's parties. Now she knew why he had ignored her during the soiree—he couldn't be with a fatty. Even if he denied it, she knew the truth. Everyone did, didn't they?

"Ah! Ah! Welcome to the club. I also need to lose weight!"

What weight? Please! Franziska thought to herself. Karolina had one of the best bodies she had ever seen, which was only enhanced by her perfect porcelain skin and her gorgeous golden locks.

"I was acting like a kid! I shouldn't have provoked him." She changed the subject back to Connor again. It's all she wanted to talk about, but Karolina kept switching topics.

"You think?" her friend asked in a neutral tone.

"Yes, I was stupid."

"Fran ...."

"Kare, I know what you're gonna say, and I swear I'm not trying to defend him, but I shouldn't have left with Dean." Franziska stood up and started slowly pacing in her host parents' large bathroom.

"But nothing happened."

"I know that, but he doesn't know it, and now I'm sure he thinks I've cheated on him."

"How can he think you've cheated when he can't even acknowledge that you're his girlfriend."

Franziska swallowed as she accepted the truth she hadn't wanted to hear, at least not from her friend.

"Yeah ... you're right. Anyway, how is your day going?"

"Good. My host kid is sleeping now, so I can have some rest, thank God," she said dramatically while Franziska laughed. "And my counselor sent me an email saying that another au pair is coming this week. She'll live three blocks away."

"Really?" Franziska attempted to seem interested. She couldn't even remember the last time she had talked to her own Local Childcare Consultant. Since she had a great host family, she didn't see the need to contact her. To be honest, her LCC didn't really take her job seriously anyway.

"Yeah, her name is Shana or something; she's French."

"That sounds cool."

"Yeah, we'll see ... by the way, I saw your profile picture and I love the new hair color. You look just like a redheaded version of Dita Von Teese."

"See!"

Franziska silenced herself and lowered her voice, thinking she might have spoken a little too loudly.

"Everyone except Connor told me the same thing; he looked at me as if I disgusted him."

And the conversation was back to the one and only ....

"Are you serious?" Karolina yelped, and Franziska could picture her widening her eyes as she always did when she told her about Connor's latest strange behavior.

"Yeah, he told me I was overdressed."

"What?"

"I swear! And then he started to be dista—"

"Franny! Franny! FRANZISKA," she heard from the living room.