Chapter 2

"Ace, do you want to go to the park across the street? I heard there's a petting zoo or something" I asked him.
"We can order pizza afterwards if you want"
Ace looked up excitedly and nodded.
"Will there be duckies" He asked. I shrugged.
"The faster you get ready the faster we can go check" I told him. He realised the truth and ran to his room to get ready. As we left the apartment and walked quickly across the street, Ace rambled on about school and how much he loved animals. I listened to it all. Ace was the best friend you needed sometimes. He was also the most adorable child as well. I hope he didn't grow up to be like his father. When we arrived at the petting zoo, there were a bunch of kids and Ace stood there staring in awe. He found the ducklings and pushed his way through the group of people to get to them. I followed after him. As Ace bent down to pet one, the other ducklings waddled away. The one Ace was petting looked at him and kept quacking. I went on my knees and took a picture with my phone, Ace smiled widely and the duckling coincidentally looked at the camera. After I took the photo, I looked down to see what was poking my knee.
"It's another duckie" Ace whispered. I laughed. I put my hand out. The duckling quacked and waddled towards my hand. It climbed up on my hand and rubbed it's head on my head. I giggled. The feathers tickled. I looked at Ace and he was grinning widely. The duckling he was petting was cuddling up to him and the duckling in my hand was waddling in the space it had. It tickled so much. As I put the duckling down along with my bag, I asked Ace if he wanted to pet the llamas and he nodded. After an hour, I realised I left my bag near the ducklings. Ace said bye to them, as we left the zoo.
"That was so much fun, Vivi" Ace yelled. I ruffled his hair. We went to the pizza place beside our apartment building and ordered a pizza with half green pepper and half pepperoni. I didn't like pepperoni on my pizza. As I looked through my bag to pay, I felt something fluffy. I quickly took my hand out. The guy who was taking my order raised his eyebrows. I smiled nervously and went back to my bag and took out my wallet. I ignored the fluffy thing. I paid and as we waited, I avoided touching my bag.
"Vivi, I saw daddy on the news last night" Ace said. I stopped thinking about my bag and looked at Ace.
"What did it say?" I asked.
"It said that he is a great man and he did a lot for others" Ace told me. I sighed.
"Is he a good man, Vivi?" Ace asked. I didn't know how to answer that. Ace was asking me because Julia would have told him to forget about it. I knew how it felt not knowing about something while everyone else did. Ace's father was now a corporate business owner. He owned one of the biggest pharmaceutical companies. Hugh Killen, was respected in the business world and was obviously really wealthy. About 7 years ago, he wasn't the owner, he was the son that was known to take his place after his father retired. He came to the city to find some solace from the pressure that was put on him. He met Julia, whom was working as a waitress to pay her college tuition. They fell in love, or she thought they did. Julia had just gotten out of an abusive relationship and was just looking for some independence, but feelings are hard to contain. So she gave in to him, not knowing he was the son of a huge business owner. He lied to her, and told her he was an arts major. They had sex, and a week later he left for a project he had to do, promising her he'd be back. A month later she found out she was pregnant, but this was after he stopped talking to her. Two months later, she found out Hugh Killen was not just a random arts major, he had become to owner of Killen Pharmaceutical Inc. She wrote to him saying she had his baby, which Hugh's father found before it got to Hugh. After a bunch of negotiations, the agreement was that Ace stayed a secret from the business world, and the company would pay for Ace's everything. Julia didn't want to take it. But she also realised she couldn't take care of Ace with her college debts and limited salary as a waitress. Hugh claimed he loved Julia, but he had to listen to his father. Julia told him to go to hell. After a year, when Ace was about three months Hugh got married to the daughter of some other company. Julia cried for days, and Ace was her only hope. Hugh sent gifts to Ace every year on his Birthday, and Ace didn't question it until last year. About a few months later, Hugh had to visit the city for a meeting, and visited Julia and he accidentally revealed he was Ace's father. Ace wondered about everything ever since. Julia told Hugh to leave and avoided the topic with Ace.
"He's human, Ace. Humans make a lot of mistakes and are not always innocent. He's not great but he's not super villain bad either." I replied.
Ace nodded and shrugged. He looked a lot like his father. He had light brown messy hair and chocolate brown eyes. He was pale but during the summer he got tan.
The pizza was ready, so we went home. I forgot about the fluffy thing in my bag as I told Ace all about ducks and how to take care of them.