6. Promises

*******
Tanner's Point of view
*******

     She grabs my arm as she slips letting out a squeal. I quickly grab her waist and pull her back up before she hits the floor. The way I grab her she ends up on my lap. Her being so close is driving me crazy. I want to kiss her so bad. She looks up at me with her blue eyes meeting mine and I can't resist. I run my hand up her arm to her neck and lean forward. Just as our lips brush the door opens.
     "What the hell," her friend Angela says. Felice quickly slips off my lap and walks out the door. Angela shakes her head at me and follows her. My lap is cold where she was sitting only moments before and my lips tingle from how close I came to kissing her. I get up and walk into the hallway. I hear Angela down the hall and stand outside the door that her voice is coming from.
      "He's a player. All he wants with you is to sleep with you to win the game. That's it." I hear Angela say. She sounds really mad.
      "I know!!!!" I hear Felice say "It just happened"

     "I don't want to play," I say just loud enough that I know they can hear me. The inside of the room goes silent. I hear someone walk to the door and then they pull it open.

     "What?" Felice says. I can see a tear falling down her cheek. I can see the hurt and the confusion in her eyes.
     "Will you let me explain everything?" I ask. I look from Felice to Angela hoping they will give me a chance.
      "Ok," Felice says. She looks back at Angela before walking past me to her bedroom. I follow her with Angela right behind me.

      When I walk in the room Felice is sitting on her bed with her back to the door. I want to just wrap her in my arms and make her feel better but I know she won't let me touch her.
      I walk in and sit next to her, making sure not to touch her. Angela picks up the forgotten pizza and sets it on Felice's dresser before sitting down and leaning against the headboard looking at me.
      Felice looks up at Angela.
      "I think we need to talk alone," she says to Angela. Angela looks as surprised as I am. But after a second she gets up grabs her car keys and walks to the door.
      "Call if you need anything. If I don't hear from you I'm picking you up at 7 in the morning." She says and then walks out.

      Felice turns and looks at me.
      "I swear I don't want to hurt you," I say. She needs to know that.
      "Then why am I in the game?" She replies so quietly I barely hear her.
      "I didn't want you in the game, I told the other guys I didn't want you in it but the first year we agreed if it was 3 to 1 the girl was in," I explain.

      "Tell me exactly what the game is. No one except you 4 really knows. I want to." She says. I run my hand through my hair and stand up. Walking around her room to ease my nerves. If I tell her about the game, the other guys won't be able to hurt her, but they will hurt me. I look at her small frame sitting on her bed. Her pure blue eyes looking at me waiting for me to tell her. I look away turning my back to her so I can think.
      "I know you're not supposed to tell anyone," she says, snapping my attention back to her.

      "I could guess." She suggests. "I'll ask a yes or no question and you answer."

      "Ok, I can do that," I say with a deep sigh. This is something I can easily do.

      "Come, sit down," she says patting the bed next to her. I walk over and sit down.

      "Did you guys make a promise?" She asks. I smile the question she asked is indeed a yes or no, but it is also an invitation to tell her more. I sigh coming back to the question.
      "Yes," I say "we swore not to tell anyone about the game if we tell someone we were out." And it's when I say that, I know what I want to do. I look down at her and know I'm right.
      "The game." I say "we all got into an argument about what one of us was better at picking up girls so we made a bet."

      "You guys bet that each of you could get a girl to sleep with you first." She says

       "Exactly, but then to make it even Max said we all had to try to get 1 girl. And that's when we picked the first girl. As we finished lunch that day Jacob said we shouldn't be able to tell anyone about the game because then it would be screwed with girls either not wanting to sleep with us or wanting to either way because of the game." I explain. "I told the guys we should swear on it and Brody said there had to be a punishment if we did tell her. And that's when we swore if we told we would be out of the game permanently." I look up at Felice to see what she's thinking. She looks relaxed, not mad anymore, but I can't tell.

      I continue and explain exactly what happened at KFC and when they told me the new rule. She doesn't say anything, just listens. I can't tell what she's thinking. When I stop talking, ending with me calling her tonight she looks at me. I look into her blue eyes and wish I could be someone who deserved her.

      "You should go" she whispers. At that moment I know she won't wanna talk to me anymore. But at least now she knows the truth. I stand up and walk towards the window, halfway there I turn around.

      "I'm sorry," I say before I turn and climb out the window. I walk down the porch roof to the tree to climb down when I hear her at the window behind me.

*****
UPDATE
ii have finished my first edits for this chapter, no major changes