Untitled Part 10

London had no real plan. Her vague idea was to maybe head to Tampa. Although she didn't know what they'd do once they got there. She didn't trust the police until she knew what was going on. She didn't trust anyone. She didn't even know if she trusted Quinlan anymore, even though she didn't really have a choice.

And she actually dozed off in the passenger seat while contemplating the fact that she didn't trust Quinlan. When she woke up, they were stopped for gas and the sun was coming up.

"Where are we?" she asked, when Quinlan got back in the car.

"I have no idea. I think it might be upstate New York."

"Want me to drive for a little while?" London offered.

"I'm fine," said Quinlan, with a little shake of his head.

London hesitated as Quinlan pulled the car back onto the highway, and then she said, "You told your parents I was here."

Quinlan was silent for a moment. "I was worried about you. I didn't know what to do."

Another moment of hesitation. "You told your parents where I was, and then people showed up looking for me."

A muscle jumped in Quinlan's jaw. "My parents have nothing to do with this."

"Your parents knew my father, they knew about his research."

"London, my parents are not trying to kill you. Do you know how ridiculous you sound right now? They told me to keep you safe."

"They told you to keep me safe?"

"Yes. They were worried about you."

"Quinlan, why would your parents tell you to keep me safe if they didn't think I was in danger?"

Quinlan hesitated. "Maybe they...I mean, your father had just been murdered, maybe they just—"

"We need to call your parents," London announced. "And we need to figure out exactly what they know about my father's research."

2~YJ��S