The Dark

"Yes!" I shouted as I came to the bus stop just as the bus stopped.

I was on time to catch it for once.

I got on, paid the fare, and sat near the back. I caught my breath, then made sure that I had my camera on me.

I did, for once. Normally I either forgot it or missed the bus while I had it.

I relaxed and smiled. My bad luck was finally turning around, and nothing in the world could change that. That, at least, was my thought before the bus slowed down. I looked around.

"Why did we stop?" I asked myself.

"The bus broke down." A woman in front of me said.

Sometimes I hated when I spoke out loud, but for once I was pretty pleased.

At least, as far as an answer went. In reality, I was pretty ticked off about the bus breaking down.

I sighed as I stood up and walked toward the front. The driver let me off and I started walking.

I was supposed to be taking pictures of awesome places in the city, not walking around to get to my client.

I sighed again, I hated having to meet with my clients just to know where they want me to go, rather than trusting me with finding landmarks that they wouldn't even know of.

But, those were the breaks, and I had to deal with it.

Again.

I checked my cellphone, it was nine in the afternoon.

I put my phone away and walked, trying to put distance between myself and the broken down bus that just had to hate me.

Not a minute later, a bus roared past me. I looked back and saw that the bus I'd gotten off of was now flying by as if putting up a giant proverbial finger.

"Screw you too, you stupid bus!" I shouted.

Then it began to rain.

I just kept walking, I decided that the day wasn't being to be ruined just yet, despite the bus and the rain.

I eventually had to step into cover when it began to hail.

"Well, Johnny old boy, another day has officially been ruined." I said to myself.

"Seriously, what's could possibly make this day get any worse?"

Lightning cracked against the sky, and I was standing on a staircase just absolutely webbed with wires.

I sighed and ignored the 'Condemned' sign and walked into the building.

I recognized the inside of the building almost instantly.

It was the old concert hall that I'd been to as a little kid for the school recital.

I smiled at the feeling of nostalgia, of childhood memories that lingered in the air like phantoms and the ever-present dust.

I closed my eyes and listened to the voices of children, long grown up, yet immortal in their youth within my memory.

Mine, of course, rang out the loudest.

I opened my eyes and walked through the old building slowly, mostly to keep from falling through the floor or something like that.

It briefly crossed my mind that today might be the day they'd tear the old place down, but I knew that they would search the building for derelicts before blowing it to kingdom come.

That, and they'd stop me from entering, or even getting close.

I looked at my phone and noted the time at a quarter 'til ten.