A little surprise

Merlin opened the door to Arthur's chamber to find him laying two plates on the table, which was neatly arranged with multiple bowls of food and a few dimly lit candles. Merlin looked surprised as he entered the room, watching his master prepare his own dinner. And another!

"Is everything okay sire, Gwen said you were asking for me?" Merlin questioned.

Arthur turned around looking flustered. "Ah yes, please, take a seat Merlin!" He replied pulling back a chair after he finished laying the table. Arthur then took a seat at the table across from Merlin and started dishing out salad onto Merlin's plate.

"Um, could I have a fork?" Asked Merlin awkwardly.

"Oh yes, sorry!" Arthur stood up in a panic, blushing that he had forgotten to bring such an important part of the meal. "How stupid of me!" He muttered to himself as he realised that he didn't infact own any cutlery and that he would have to go to the kitchens to ask.

"It's alright Arthur, sit back down. Is everything okay?" The serving boy asked in concern.

"Okay?" Replied Arthur facing Merlin again.

"Yes it's just that you don't usually invite me for dinner, I'm supposed to be your servant!"

Arthur took a seat back at the table. "Well." He started, his cheeks blushing a dark shade of pink. "I - um." The prince stuttered on his words. He leaned towards Merlin, adopting a more confident posture and continued. "Well, Merlin, I've known you a long time now and after a lot of thought- A lot of thought! I'm quite sure about my feelings for you." The blue eyed boy across from him bit his lip. "I don't know whether you will return these feelings but-" he took a deep breath. "I love you."

A long silence fell between them whilst Merlin repeated the words over in his head. As the prince started to give up all hope the serving boy gave him a vibrant smile and beamed. "Arthur, it's about time!"

"What?!" A state of shock washed over Arthur's face.

"I've been waiting for a good time tell you too! I love you Arthur!" The two boys chuckled in the revelation that they had both planned on confessing their love tonight. Their eyes made contact on several occasions before looking away and becoming slightly awkward.

"Well I'm glad we feel the same way!" Stated Arthur trying to break the silence. He stood up from the chair and held out his hand inviting Merlin to join him.

"Yes, I thought that- well, I'm only a serving boy, a prince isn't allowed to develop feelings on someone of my class." Said Merlin. He took Arthur's hand and for the first time was able to look deep into those beautiful blue eyes.

"I don't care what everyone has to say! I can't deny these feelings for you any longer!" He moved in towards Merlin and interlocked their fingers together. The two boys closed their eyes, their faces becoming closer. They bumped noses as they went in for the kiss.

"Sorry!" Apologised Arthur, his body became tense as he grew ever more nervous.

"It's okay, I'm nervous too. Just relax." Merlin's softly placed a hand on Arthur's cheek and steadied him in for another kiss. Merlin tilted his head as their lips finally met. Their mouths moved in unison as Arthur eased into the kiss. Merlin felt the heat of the moment rush to his head. The couple broke away and tilted their heads together, their foreheads touching.

"I love you Merlin." Whispered Arthur.

"I love you more!" Replied Merlin, a huge smile spreading across his face. He brought his hands from Arthur's cheeks and ruffled them into the prince's hair. He placed a delicate kiss on the top of his forehead before joining with Arthur's lips again. Arthur kissed back passionately, regaining his usual confidence.

He slowly pushed Merlin towards his bed, their lips never parting. He took a firm hold on the sides of Merlin's hips, bringing they're bodies even closer. He glided his tongue over Merlin's lower lip and entered. Merlin fought back as they battled for dominance, the black haired boy soon became submissive and let the prince win, allowing him to be pushed down on the bed. Arthur lay on top him bringing his kisses along his neck and down to his collar bone. He bit down leaving a red mark near his right shoulder. Merlin gasped for breath as he let the prince smother him in kisses. He tugged at the bottom of Arthur's shirt asking him to remove it. Arthur threw it to the floor and undid his servant's blue neckerchief. He pulled off the boys red shirt, throwing it on the floor next to his own. He ran his hands along the curves of Merlin's chest, wanting to go further but felt the boys hands stop him as he reached for his trousers.

"Not tonight." Interrupted Merlin. "I just want this for now." He looked up into Arthur's eyes hoping he'd understand.

"Of course, it's a bit too soon." He replied. He rolled off of Merlin so he lay next to him. "Want to stay the night? Just to sleep, nothing more." He asked with pleading eyes.

"How could I say no?"

They both withdrew from the bed before returning under the covers, Arthur lay on his right side.

The prince wrapped his arms around Merlin's waist from behind, nuzzling his face into the back of his shoulder. Their bodies filled up with each other's warmth.

"Does still mean I have to do my chores tomorrow?" Asked Merlin through a joking giggle.

"Hmm, I think you can take the day off, I want to keep you tomorrow!" Came Arthur's muffled voice as he snuggled into him.

"I wonder if Gaius has noticed that I've gone? He'll probably think I'm in the tavern again! I can't keep saying that if I start spending more time with you." He seemed to be talking to himself as Arthur gave no reply to his rambling. "Arthur?"

"Mm?" Arthur appeared to be falling asleep, pulling the blanket over to him and exposing Merlin's bare chest to the harsh cold.

"Hey!" Merlin pulled back his side of the blanket, waking up Arthur and turning over to face him. "You can't hog the whole thing!" He teased, tickling the prince's forehead with his nose. They both let out a quiet giggle under their breaths. Arthur pulled up the blanket pass their shoulders and snuggled closer to Merlin's body.

"Goodnight." Said Merlin as he lay a gentle his on Arthur's lips.

"I love you!" Muttered Arthur, taking Merlin's hand and bringing it close to his chest to hold.

"I know." He quickly leaned over and blew out the candle on Arthur's bedside table before cuddling back up to his prince.