The Wish

How did this come to be?

He dodged the Fade's attack.

Every muscle screamed in protest against the sudden action.

Grabbing an Izolian blade from an enemy corpse, he struck in desperation before his wounds forced him to collapse.

He needed to protect his family. He needed to protect what remains of his Kingdom, his people, his home. And he had failed.

Those were the thoughts of Aldric as he lay broken on the battlefield, which was once the royal courtyard of Ibrovia, his Kingdom, now only ruins.

The land had been thriving after the birth of his son, the next in line for the throne, and there was peace.

But now there was nothing.

No Kingdom to rule.

Only the ashes which remained behind, and even then, they too are being blown away.

The wind is their ruler, not to be commanded by the likes of an immortal fey.

He lay there on the marble paving, his bloodied clothing stuck to his body like a second skin, giving off a metallic scent. Rivers of blood flowed freely from the mortal wound in his chest, matching the colour of his hair.

The blurred images of creatures made of smoke and flame crossed the court along side the armies of Izoilan and Aepeatia fey, striking down any Ibrovian fey they came across. They were Embers, once powerful and reliable Fade summons he previously had the privilege of fighting along side, used to defend and protect his people, now, the cause of their plight.

"Orechia, why?" His voice is hoarse and wet. "Why betray your family, your sister my wife?" his eyes stare up at his enemy, in truth his brother-in-law as he approached.

"I don't have any obligation to answer you my King." He answers, gloating in his victory, locking his ember eyes onto the bloodied figure, his face contorting into a condescending sneer.

He says no more as he pierces the mangled flesh of Aldric's stomach with his own blade.

~~~~

"You have my deepest condolences your royal highnesses." The fey bowed abruptly before exiting the chamber, Aldric let the high healer's actions slide, for he would return to his chamber to grieve in silence at the lost of yet another heir.

"How can this be?" The queen questioned quietly, shutting her eyes in an attempt to suppress her tears, absentmindedly rubbing a hand over her bulging stomach, where the dead fetus lay.

He ran his finger in a soothingly motion through her hair, the very colour of the moon, which is wildly spread across the plush upholstery beneath her.

"Ereeya, you are not at fault," her moist eyes opened staring into his, no longer able to hold the tears at bay they fall, and continue doing so without restraint. "This is Domina's will." His voice breaks midsentence, betraying his grief, and true feelings behind the pervious comment.

"You and I both know She isn't the cause..." she trails off with a sob. "I just hoped that maybe just maybe that my Fade bloodline wouldn't affect the pregnancy." Her body shakes uncontrollably, the hysteria in her voice rising with each word.

He stays silent, continuing to comfort her by merely being there, for he must continue to hold his head high despite the loss for the sake of his wife and nation.

A knock at the door interrupts the two.

"My lord," a soft male voice came from the other side of the bedchamber, "the guests have arrived." Those four words shoved reality back into Aldric's mind, oh how he wished he could send the servant away, however, with the arrival of the summer solstice in a week's time he could do no such thing.