Ballad of the Lily

"Hahaha, that show was hilarious!!"

"Right?!" 

"Well, see you guys tomorrow."

"See ya!"

With that, my friends and I parted ways, and I headed, not to my home, but to a certain hospital. The trip  seemed like forever, even though I was taking the train, so I just looked at the blue sky, and had some pretty deep thoughts. The train arrived at my destined station, and I headed to the hospital, isolating everything else around me, as I was immersed in thought. Before I knew it, I was already in front of the room's door. I snapped out of my trance, and slapped my cheeks, to keep myself together, and went in.

There on the hospital bed, lay Aoi, the girl I love. The doctor's gave her condition a name, all I could remember is that her heart was getting weaker. She wasn't the frail, serene looking girl I see right now before. In fact, she was this slender girl, who looked like a young model and was quite adventurous. 

Her sleeping face tempted me to poke it,and so I did, gently. She woke up, and was shocked. She then proceeded to lash out on me, but almost fell from her bed due to her condition limitating her stamina. Fortunately, I'd always catch her and, like now, grab her wrists to control her hand to hit my head. I love it every time she averts her eyes, and faintly blushes whenever I do that. Perhaps she knew that, as she began to puff her cheeks, but I just laughed it off. I then replaced the water from her vase, and added a bunch of new Lilies, which she loved. I treasured the next few hours with her, every single microsecond of it. 

I always hate it when the visiting hours end, but I had no choice, so I kissed her and told her that I'd be seeing her tomorrow, much like a Doctor would say when he has an appointment with someone. None of my friends knew that I visited the person I loved after school each day, nor did the know that I even had one. That's because I'd always find excuses as to where I'm going after school. I visited her each day without fail, always treasuring the moments we had together.

Then one day, it finally hit me. I received a phone call in the middle of lecture, which was from a nurse I knew who took care of Aoi. The only words I could remember were "Critical Condition.", before I dashed out of the lecture hall, in spite of the lesson being conducted. I ran, bumping into people and objects, until I was in shambles when I arrived. Everything was all too sudden, and before I knew it, I was looking at Aoi, who looked like she was sleeping peacefully. I really thought she was, so I shook her, trying to wake her up, while tears were rolling, I embraced her tightly, yelling for her to wake up. Deep in me, I already knew she was dead, but I wanted to convince myself, that it was all a lie, that it was all just a dream. Her parents came soon after, and so did my parents. 

I needed to be alone, so I went up to the rooftop of the hospital, and looked down at the streets below. Everything was blurry, due to the tears falling out. Perhaps I almost fell, because someone behind me grabbed me, and gave me a tight slap in the face, telling me not to "do it". I really couldn't see at that time, perhaps she misunderstood. Then she fell to her knees sobbing, and went on to tell me that her sister needed a lung transplant. I couldn't stop my hands, so I almost hit her, then I suddenly remembered about Aoi. Before I knew it, she was looking at me, terrified. I calmed myself down for a bit and thought for a while, before bringing her to everyone. Of course, they were against it, but I told them what Aoi told me before: that if she died, she didn't want to die in vain. Of course I brushed it off that time, but now, I realised what she meant. 

Years have passed, and I've slowly moved on. I remember now and then, how hard it was each day, without her by my side, that stinging sensation whenever I hear certain songs. I've since moved out of the city and lived alone, to prevent myself from dwelling in the past. One day however, I was visited by these two girls whom I don't know. I got worried, thinking that I must've done something wrong recently, but when they mentioned Aoi, I opened the door without hesitation. Apparently, one of the two was the one who asked me for a transplant from Aoi, and the person who saved me back then from falling from the rooftop. She asked me if I've been suicidal lately, and before I could even reply, she brushed it off by introducing herself and her sister, the younger one who asked for help being Crystal and her older sister ,May, being the one with the heart problem. Crystal then began thanking me, and apologising. Come to think of it, I hadn't seen her ever since I left the hospital. She began telling me how her sister managed to live, and how thankful she was. I brushed it off, but she kept insisting, that it wuldn't have happened if I hadn't persuaded Aoi's parents. 

When I stood up to offer some snacks, I felt a gentle push, enough to make me trip on a small object in front of me. Next thing I knew, my face was close to Crystal's face. I then remembered, that part of Aoi, was still here, inside my heart and of course May's lungs, so I looked back and there on my seat lay a single Lily flower, which looked fresh and new. I then chuckled a bit, and went on to get the snacks for Crystal and May.

-End-