RiP- Chapter 2

Athena smoothed her black chiffon skirt and twirled, giggling as the gold-sequined bodice caught the light, smothering the walls in rainbows. She reapplied her deep red lips and slipped the caged-heart necklace her father gave her over her head. Securing her gold and back heels, Athena pushed open the heavy wood door that led her into the hall, greeting the guards that patrolled it.

"Your father is waiting in the main dining hall." They were brief in their directions, allowing her to make it on time to dinner with her father. She elegantly ceased her sprint and stepped into the hall, rancid with other humans. She caught the eye of her father, eagerly chatting with Derek Richards, Athena's trainer.

"Sir, are you sure that inviting all of her old... associates... was a good idea? And the masquerade masks?" Derek asked in a hushed tone, spotting Two-Face in a Phantom of the Opera-style mask laughing with a terrified party-goer.

"Of course, Richards, my baby doesn't remember a thing. If they see her and try to approach her, she'll brush them off and they'll never want to approach her again. What happened with Quinn and Kyle can never happen again." Maxie Zeus replied, glaring in the direction of Hush. He was sipping his champagne, awkwardly holding his bandaged arm. "I made sure Hush knows that."

"Father... What are all these people doing here?" Athena asked, trying, and failing, to hide her frustration as she approached him.

"It's a masquerade party, my dear! For your first visit to Gotham, a celebration!" Zeus clapped, handing her a gold sequined mask. She huffed and placed it on her nose, looking at her reflection in a nearby vase.

"I'm going to the bar." Athena mumbled, looking around for Floyd. Maybe the two could ditch this party and head somewhere quieter. It had been too long since she was just... Held by him. Deep in thought, she ordered a pineapple juice and sat at the bar, scanning the crowd.

"Excuse me, but you're sitting on my jacket." A low voice rumbled, sending a shock wave through Athena's heart. She turned, her blue eyes meeting another's, a green mask covering the majestic evergreens that lived inside his irises.

"Jacket?" She looked down, a dark piece of fabric covering the normally white stools. "Oh, I do apologize!" Athena stumbled out of her seat, letting the ginger pick up the jacket.

"No need for apologies. The name is Nigma. Edward Nigma."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second Edward stepped into the room, he was searching for her. She didn't know who she truly was, as reported by Selina and Harley. He had to take each step with caution, therefore, a drink was in order. A nasty habit he picked up after Chase's abduction, but the only thing that he found comfort in. He shrugged off his deep licorice suit jacket and draped it over the bar stool as he ordered a rum and coke, gingerly taking a sip before being pulled away by Scarecrow.

"Oh, what is it, Crane?" Edward asked, holding his drink away from his crisp white shirt.

"Is it true? She's here?" Crane asked, more eager than Edward had ever seen him.

"She is supposedly here, yes." Edward looked around, keeping hope out of his eyes.

"She doesn't remember us, though? That's what the girls said." Jonathan dropped his eyes to the ground, composing himself. "Shame. But it would be interesting if I could get into her mind.."

"No." Edward snapped, turning his head toward the lanky man. Edward was no body builder, but ever since that night, he had forced himself to get into shape. He was more than toned, and his arms rippled under his dress shirt as he looked into Jonathan's icey eyes. "You won't lay a finger on her."

"You better get to her first then." Crane smirked, pointing behind Edward. He slowly turned, his heart slowing. A beautiful woman sat on his jacket, one leg draped over the other. Her dark hair was pinned on top of her head, and her face was turned away, but Edward knew it was her. Not only his heart, but time itself slowed, as he strolled towards her. No force on this Earth, not Hell, not High Water, could stop him from stopping behind her and clearing his throat.

"Excuse me, but you're sitting on my jacket." Edward forced out, his heart leaping into his mouth when the woman turned around, his Chase's Mediterranean eyes staring back at him.