CHAPTER 1 • First Steps

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Clear water droplets fell at a steady pace from a rusted metal staircase suspended above, striking relentlessly at Kione's forehead. He was acutely aware that he was cold, and that the ground beneath him was uncomfortably hard. His lids reluctantly parted to discover his nose protruded oddly from his snout, delicate and vulnerable, blurrily visible if he strained his eyes. How impractical, he mused.

He heaved his forequarters up. A grunt rumbled in his chest at the stiffness in his joints, but the sound was lost as a roar flooded the air around him. It reverberated within his skull, pummeling his eardrums. Danger? He drew his ears back in a futile attempt to lessen the booming noise as he stared around in search of the creature that uttered the roar, but it was too dark to see clearly. What is it? Where is it coming from? Was he going to die before he had even gotten his bearings?!

Light suddenly flashed before his eyes, blindingly bright in contrast with the thick shadows, then everything died away, leaving a hiss in its wake before giving way to total silence. Confused and disoriented but unscathed, he concluded that he was safe for the time being. Whatever it was was seemed to be gone now.

Twisting his head around the best he could, he examined his body. He hadn't been expecting anything in particular, but he certainly wasn't expecting it to be so fragile! Prodding his flank with a hind paw, he confirmed that it was as soft and squishy as it looked. What idiot thought this was a good design? This flesh could be easily pierced and torn, and judging by how light he felt, he was quite tiny in comparison to his original body. He was aware that the beings of this realm weren't built solely for fighting as Hellhounds were, so perhaps it wasn't completely senseless, but he was nevertheless disappointed. He would have to be careful if he intended to live out his full visit.

Rising to all fours, he realized that this form was at least similar to his original in structure, albeit a mere fraction of the size. Being accustomed to his body's proportions would be one fewer complication as he struggled to understand the strange world within which he now existed.

Beneath his pads was some kind of smooth, flat stone, and looming over him on either side were high walls of similar material, one of which supported the metal structure from which the water droplets previously landing upon his head continued to fall unendingly.

Kione shook his head to clear it and padded to the mouth of the alleyway. His mission was to observe this realm's inhabitants in order to learn things that might aid him in battle, and to do that, he needed to first locate some.

The source of the earlier roar became apparent as he emerged from the alleyway. Periodically whizzing by along a straight path were what smelled like heaps of metal, wreathed in acrid fumes that made him recoil. They glittered in the dull light cast down from the tops of tall poles as they hissed and snarled like wild animals. They didn't smell like a living creature, but who could tell for sure in a bizarre place like this? So far, everything here seemed to be made of metal and stone - why not the animals as well? Of course, not all of them could be, considering his own body. Whatever the case, he doubted crossing their path would be wise.

He glanced left, then right. Everything looked the same. He would be able to see more detail if there were a bit more light, but he doubted there was much to see here anyhow. Opting to turn left, he racked his memory for whatever meagre knowledge of mortals he could scrounge up.

"I suppose I now have the same needs as mortals..." he mumbled under his breath. "Food, water, sleep... is that all? How much of each do I require?"

That was when a new scent snagged his attention. He froze in place, ears pressed forward in interest. Overtop of the stone, metal, and gasoline floated something altogether different, something that filled his mouth with saliva. After a few moments of sniffing, he discerned that it was coming from the alleyway next to him. He veered into it, unpracticed nose working furiously.

He had entered a maze of stone passages, some wide, some narrow. After many wrong turns and much backtracking, driven by instinct, he finally claimed his prize: a small animal hidden beneath a large metal box.

It was covered in coarse black fur save for its nose, paws, long tail, and round ears, which were all a wan shade of pink. Most of its side was taken off, and the exposed meat produced a rich odor. Saliva now dripping from his flews, he did as his instincts instructed and tore into it, tail swinging as sweet blood bathed his tongue. Unfortunately, his pleasure was short-lived.

"Get away from my rat, cur!" a voice exploded in his ear. Unprepared for an ambush, he fell easily as the stranger rammed his flank, knocking the air from his lungs. Before he could react, a paw on his throat restrained him. A Hellhound, defeated by a mortal? Well, I suppose I am a mortal as well, for the time being.

"My apologies," he said coolly once he'd gotten his breath back, making a mental note that the small creature was a rat. "I was not aware this was yours."

"You just dug in before even checking if anyone was around? Are you really that stupid?" the stranger barked in outrage. Uncertain of how to justify his apparent rashness, he looked up, careful to avoid eye contact. It was another dog, smaller and of slighter build than Kione, and female. She was clad in unkempt black, white, and tan fur, split here and there by scars.

Something seemed to click in her mind as her peeled lips suddenly fell to cover her fangs, her every feature softening in a heartbeat. "Are you new to the city?" she guessed, cocking her head.

"Indeed," Kione confirmed. "'Twas not my intent to steal from you. May I be allowed to stand?"

She nodded, took a step back, and sat down, stretching out a forepaw to draw the mangled remains of the rat close to her. She now felt sympathy for him, but that didn't mean she was willing to give up her meal. He scrambled upright and focused his gaze on her nose.

"Sorry for being so aggressive, you could've been anyone. I'm Macie, but I prefer Mace. And you? Where are you from?"

"My name is Kione, and..." He hesitated. Should he answer honestly? No, blending in was probably the best way to go about things. "I come from far away," he finished vaguely.

"I guessed. You have a weird way of talking, not to mention your name," Mace remarked bluntly, narrowing her eyes in intrigue, but not pressing for further detail. "You have no idea what you're doing, do you?"

"I know what I intend to do, but I'm not yet sure of how to achieve it."

"Right, so you have no idea what you're doing. Want me to teach you how the city works?" she offered.

"Why might you desire to aid me?"

"I used to be like you, not to mention it's safer to travel in numbers. Don't want my help? If not, I'll be on my w-"

"No, your assistance would be greatly appreciated," he interrupted hastily, bowing his head to her. "You have my gratitude."

"Great! For starters, why don't you try relaxing a little? You're so... formal."

"Uh- my apologies..." he stammered.

This was perfect. Already, he had not only a subject of observation, but a teacher. He felt light and warm. Are these emotions? he wondered. Hellhounds didn't experience emotions, so it was a strange sensation. A good one, he decided.