Chapter Two: "James"

On the first day of first grade, I rode the bus to school. I had never ridden it before, so I was pretty scared. When I got on, it seemed everyone was laughing at me. Someone tripped me, and I fell right at someone's feet.

I looked up, and there he was. With his sharp, piercing eyes, limp hair, and a glare on his face. James. He looked at me, looked at the person who tripped me, and looked at me again. I blushed every time he looked at me. He was kind of cute, actually.

"Hello?" He said, waving his hand in front of my face. "Um, hi." "Get out of the way." I scrambled to get off of his lap and tried to find another seat, but he pushed me into the seat he was sitting in previously. My head hit the bus window, and I think I might have internal bleeding, but it's the thought that counts.

I watching in awe as James jumped onto the jock, punching him over and over, until he knocked one of his teeth out, which shouldn't even be possible for a first grader, but James is practically a superhuman. I don't know why the bus driver didn't do anything about the fight. Maybe he just likes to smoke that stuff that makes the bus smell weird.

James came over and calmly sat next to me. I kept on staring at him until he looked at me. "What do you want?" "Be-st friends?" I asked, holding out a pinkie. "Sure, best friends, whatever." He said, breaking my pinkie.

Silent tears streamed down my face as I said "Woo! James is here to save the day!"

Then, the bus stopped. We were at school. James pushed ahead of everyone, making it off the bus first. I thought it would be wise for me to wait until everyone had gone, so I wouldn't be tripped getting off the bus.

When everyone left, I tried to get out, but the bus doors closed right before I could exit. I banged on the doors, but it only intensified the pain in my pinkie.

"I want my mommy!" I cried, leaning against the window. I cradled my broken pinkie as I cried for hours. Exactly eight hours. After that, everyone came back on the bus. Nobody seemed to notice I was gone for eight hours. "Hey Davis." James said. I don't know how he got my name, but it was worth waiting, the broken pinkie and the crying. James was worth everything.