Chapter One

The London wind was unusually cold as tens of witches and wizards boarded The Hogwarts Express. Annabelle Maestro struggled to keep her few personal items beside her amongst the crowds as she stood on the platform to board the train with her parents.

"You have your quills then? And your parchment?"asked her father as a rather nasty gust of air blew her dark brown hair into her chilled face.

"Yes, father," she said, her small and boney fingers twisting into her new school robes as she looked towards the ground, "I have it all."

"And your broomstick? We didn't get you a brand new model so it could sit by your bed, Annabelle." her mother scolded lightly, "Are you going out for the Quidditch team this year or not? Your father and I both were on our house's teams, and I don't see why the Slytherin House is any less of an option."

Yes, Annabelle's thoughts were harsh, Both of you, in your perfect house of Ravenclaw. I'm sure your parents were proud of you, but of course you shouldn't be when your daughter was placed in the 'horrid Slytherin House'.

"I may, Mother, only time will tell." her voice sounded small, weak.

She could hear her mother and father fail to hold back breaths of slight disappointment, "Yes, well, you must board now. Goodbye, Annabelle. Study hard." her father said turning to follow her mother as they walked away with a single wave.

Annabelle let out a small breath as she turned to the entrance of the train. Her thoughts were scrambled as she tried to squeeze her way through the people to get to the locomotive.

By the time she'd managed to board the train and find an empty compartment, all the while carrying her heavy trunk, her arms were exhausted and all she wanted was to lie down and sleep for hours upon hours, in the hope that she could be left there to forget reality until the holiday.

Yet this was no dream, and Annabelle certainly couldn't imagine anything as fantastic as that would ever happen to her, even being as miniscule as it was.

The small girl sat in the seat with a great sigh. Her dark hair lying duly on her shoulders as she rested her head against the plush material, letting her eyes slip shut.

Only to snap open when the door to the car was pulled wide.

"Ah, this will do." a red headed girl said, stepping inside, "Hello, sorry if this inconveniences you, but my friend and I would like to sit in here if that's alright, all the other compartments are practically full." she addressed her.

Annabelle was caught between words, as she looked at the girl. Her bright red hair was flat against her head, and her nose was... almost peckish. She was tall and frighteningly thin, and her body, similarly to Annabelle's,was being swallowed by her house robes.

Before Annabelle could answer, the girl sat in the seat and called out to someone in the corridor, "Found one!"

The girl turned back to Annabelle, looking her over as she spoke, "So what's your name? I think I've seen you around before, especially since you're in Slytherin."

"I- um, my name is, uh, Annabe-" she started to stutter out as she stared at her lap before she was cut off.

"Evelynn, next time, run off faster, please, I think I needed to do even more searching for you than I did." Draco Malfoy said, as he shut the door to the car and sat down lazily in the plush seat before looking over to Annabelle, "And who is this, Evie?"

Annabelle froze, staring at Draco Malfoy with astonishment. He was here. Directly in front of her, and acting as though every single person on the train wasn't aware of his family's position among the Death Eaters.