Chapter One: An Errand

It's been a week since I joined Anteiku. I've learned about the minor jobs, the major jobs, and the.. dirty jobs, but most of all, I've learned a few things about being a Ghoul.

A One-eyed Ghoul.

"Kaneki, tonight you will be working with me," Yomo said, walking up to me. "Ah.. what will we be doing today?" I asked. "Delivering a package," He held up a surprisingly large bag. Of course I knew what was in it since I've seen it a few times before. Human flesh and maybe some coffee. Although, there must be a lot more than usual seeing how large the bag was.

I put on normal clothes and then walked outside, where Yomo was already waiting in the car. I got in and put on my seat belt. "So, this client.. who are they?" I asked. "...I don't know much about her myself. But I drop off packages to her every once in a while," He mumbled, starting to drive. "As you probably noticed her package is quite large. It's enough to last her for at least 3 months, she doesn't leave her apartment often," he said. "Why?" I asked. "You'll see soon," he said.

It was a short ride up to a small apartment complex. I got out of the car and followed Yomo inside. We went into an elevator, going up a few stories. Getting out, he led me down a hall. I noticed that the other rooms had signs saying "Vacant". We walked down and stopped at a door without a sign. There was a loud cackle coming inside of the room. "Stand behind me please," he asked. I did so and looked over his shoulder a bit. He knocked on the door and then there was silence. The door slowly creaked open and then was silent. It was like that for a while, eerie and cold. Yomo finally took a step forward and suddenly there was a grotesque squelch.

I gasped and shook as a scarlet hand wiggled it's fingers in front of me, flicking blood in my face.

"Oh, silly me! I missed the heart! I'll try again.."

She pulled her hand out and she looked through the gaping hole in Yomo's chest. "Worry not- I'll make sure I get yours on the first try," she smiled reassuringly. I made a squeak. Yomo sighed and took his phone from out of his pocket, playing a voice message. "Kotone, it's time to behave now," Yoshimura's voice ordered. The woman made a disgusted look and then groaned, holding her head. "Damn.. you're no fun.." she hissed. She stood still for a second and blinked, her Kakugan faded. "Ah.. oh no.." she mumbled, looking at her hand. She looked around, taking in her surroundings. "Sorry about that Yomo..." she said, still looking quite lost. "It's fine, we came to deliver this," Yomo said, holding out the package. She took it and said a silent, "Thank you," then blinked and noticed me through the hole in Yomo's chest once again. "...Newbie?" she asked. He nodded, stepping out of the way. "That wasn't a good first impression at all was it? No.. definitely not.. but I'm known for that," she said to herself, making a sad sigh. "Im-" She held out her blood stained hand before making a startled squeak and switching hands. "I-I'm Ametsuchi Kotone. Nice to meet you," she said.

I stared at her for a bit before taking her hand. "Kaneki Ken," I said. She made a small nod and then shook. This was a totally different person from before. She seemed harmless, and innocent, scared even. We let go and awkwardly stood there with our hands at our sides, she held her head downcast. It was quiet and awkward for a while until Yomo finally spoke up. "We'll be leaving now," he said. "Ah.. alright," she said. He walked towards the elevator and I followed. "Goodbye..." she mumbled, waving meekly. I waved back and we left.

Once we got in the car I stared at Yomo. "I'm fine," he said. "What.. What was that," I mumbled. "That was the Beast Ghoul," he said. "Like I said.. I don't know much but I know some. Kotone has some kind of.. illness. We'll call it that. She can't control it, so she confines herself within that room. All I know is that she comes out for emergencies. Like if Anteiku were to be attacked or something," he mumbled. "You guys would unleash that?" I asked. "Only in extreme cases, but that's it hasn't happened," he said. "How is she even affiliated with Anteiku?" I asked. "Yoshimura, don't ask me how," he mumbled. I sighed and looked out the window.

Maybe I'll get some answers another time...