Discovery

"You know what? Fuck you both!"

The teenager used all of her strength to shut the door, resulting in a heavy slam. She ran down the porch steps and continued down the dark street. She was furious, so she didn't care where she went- she just needed to get out of there.

"Roxanne Charlotte Baron, get your ass back here!" Her mother's cry sounded softer than a whisper due to the distance she had made between them.

"It's Roxie... dumb bitch." Roxie muttered, slowing down to a walk. She absolutely hated her "real" name, and how her parents only used it in full when they were angry.

She approached the corner and crossed the street. She paused on the other side, and looked around. Her eyes met with the local graveyard. It wasn't what she wanted to see, the last thing she wanted was a reminder of her grandmother, the only person in her family who really understood her. Tears began to form in her eyes, but she blinked them away.

The next thing she knew, she was in front of her grandmother's grave. She sighed and looked to the sky. "You there, grandma?" she whispered. "We had another fight. Why do my parents hate me?" She could practically hear her grandma's typical response to that question: "They love you, but sometimes you just don't listen." That kind of response would earn anyone else a punch in the face, but it was different when it was coming from her.

She looked around, and made sure nobody was in the cemetery. There wasn't, so she buried her face in her hands and began to cry. She hated showing weakness, or what she perceived to be weakness, so she had to make sure.

Her muffled cries filled the usual silence of the graveyard, but it covered up the sounds of rustling bushes and quiet footsteps. Roxie didn't notice this until she stopped sobbing, and it hit her suddenly: somebody was here.

Fear quickly overwhelmed the teenager, and she found herself too afraid to move her hands away from her face. She felt so stupid, it was the dead of the night and she was alone in a cemetery. It was like she was in a bad horror movie, where the characters are so dumb they practically get themselves killed.

The footsteps grew louder, and they were very erratic, it didn't sound like normal walking footsteps at all. Roxie couldn't really tell where they were coming from exactly, but they were close.

Hesitantly, Roxie removed her hands from her face. She almost screamed when she saw four glowing eyes staring directly at her.